Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My timing is already to the cyl head. but is there any advantage to jumping a tooth also?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
probably not with stock injectors... you can skip a tooth and line up the timing marks again like they were from stock and that would leave your timing to (about) the same it is now but youll have room between your head and pump and probably take some stress off of your lines.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking of some 435's. but im just curious if there'd be any benefit on goin that far with timing

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
i am not an expert but it seems like the experts havent been posting much lately so ill take a stab at it. i think it will depend on how your injectors run. if they are dirty for whatever reason or put lots of fuel in there that needs more time to be completely burn you may need to do more timing. i dont know if a 435 would benefit for anymore than what you have now but you can only be the judge of that when you are doing the tuning.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can see where you're coming from on the fuel. if it runs like a BAMF with that much timing, i probably lost all if most of the street manners and low rpm power

·
Registered
534 Posts
I skipped two teeth and still timing two the head runs good:hehe::thumbsup:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you're kidding right? lol 2 teeth? any hp numbers with that much timing

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
isnt that like 28-30* initial timing? lol i think im at 16-17 lol

how does it run compared to your previous setting?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Im running 32 degrees of timing lots of white smoke when cold and the smoke dose not clean up a little popin in high rpm range:hehe::thumbsup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is a point when timiing just doesn't do anything but make alot of noise and drive up cylinder pressures and can actually loose boost. There are exceptions to this like when you are running massive amounts of fuels like a pump that puts out 400+ cc's of fuel and shower heads for injectors. If you bump your gear one tooth and back the timing on the pump down from the timeing mark an 1/8in you are right about 18-20 deg initial timing.

Just remember there is 12 deg of advance in the dynamic timing. I am have mine set at this timing running pods and 250cc pump and i have very little smoke at idle.

If you are only have stock sticks i would not bump a tooth until you have some more fuel goin in.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info diesel, my truck with the timing to the head hazes a little at idle, little bit of white-ish gray smoke. it cleans up when u raise the R's but underload with a heavy foot it leaves a pretty hefty footprint. even with my air now it rolls the coal at WOT and thru out the boost and rpm range. bigger turbo time i guess.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah a good 60mm turbo would be good casue that little 56 just isn't cuttin it.

Are you runing the original head and injectors on that 90 engine?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes sir i am, when i bought the 90 truck the injectors were freshened up with new stock nozzles and pop tested right before i bought the truck. and i bought that 2wd to build what i got about 2-3 years ago.

Im thinkin of the 60mm upgrade then eventually studs and an HT3B and run compounds. either with the stock sticks but with my power addiction.....a set of 435's or 6X16's :gun2:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Is there a writeup on advancing the pump a tooth? If i get into my front cover and do the kdp i might want to do the pump at the same time just so i have more adjustability now and down the road too if i get bigger injectors.

I just flat out dont know how to do it because i havent had my pump off for any reason.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was wondering in order to skip a tooth how do you take the pressure off the pump??? can you just loosen the injector lines to take the pressure off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts