Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I posted a thread a month or so ago asking why my truck misfires and shakes when i put it in gear. Well my mechanic friend and I decided to remove the timing cover to see if anything shifted after several previous attempts to remove the pump and solve this pain in the but miss-fire.

I attached two pictures of the gears and was hoping that somebody could shine some light on this matter. Is the timing correct? Are the letter where they are suppose to be? Thanks you.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine looks exactly the same and runs great.
With a bad IP it would shake the whole truck.
Does it miss at high rpms?
I'd suspect injectors, IP or an air leak.
How many miles on it?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you responded. It has 130k, new injectors. I think this concludes that I have a bad IP. I wanted to make sure that the marks were in place before swapping out pumps and realizing that the timing was off the entire time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was doing some research last night and somebody mentioned "killing the dowell pin". Any idea what that is and why it should be removed? Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
82 Posts
Killer Dowell Pin=KDP. The pin that is used in the factory to line up the block and the timing cover, on 12 valves known to work out (hence the Killer). It can be tabbed and bolted to keep it in place. Just use KDP in the search, or go to the tech articles, I am sure it is there too.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
And make sure you clean and loctite the case bolts. Those are more of a danger then the KDP IMO.

The case bolts loosen over time. Mine were finger tight on my 89 motor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts