Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the tappet cover on my 96 12 valve and need to remove the p pump to do it but first I have to get the engine to tdc I’m have been using the barring tool to turn the engine over while keeping pressure on the pin with my finger but the pin won’t drop into place ,I hit it with some pb blaster and wd40 the pin spins now but still won’t drop into place ,am I doing something wrong ?any info would helpful

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Try pulling the pin out and using your finger. You’ll need to do some finagling, but you should be able to get your hand in there. It’s possible the little plastic nub got sheared off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try pulling the pin out and using your finger. You’ll need to do some finagling, but you should be able to get your hand in there. It’s possible the little plastic nub got sheared off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’ll move in a little if I hit it with the handle of a screwdriver

·
Registered
17,340 Posts
Have you considered finding TDC using the drop valve method? Much easier and more accurate than the pin.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you considered finding TDC using the drop valve method? Much easier and more accurate than the pin.
I came here to recommend this method. It's how I do all of them now instead of messing around with the pin.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Another vote for the drop valve method of finding TDC. Its WAY easier (more accurate too, but that's beside the point). If you have a harbor freight in your area then the thread pitch on the post that screws into their magnetic dial indicator base is the same as the valve cover bolt. So you can screw the dial indicator bracket straight to the rocker perch for a very solid attachment. Its so easy is almost feels like cheating.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"I am doing the tappet cover on my 96 12 valve and need to remove the p pump to do it but first I have to get the engine to tdc I’m have been using the barring tool to turn the engine over while keeping pressure on the pin with my finger but the pin won’t drop into place ..."

I recently changed my p7100. I also did my tappet gasket while I was there. You can just put the engine at TDC on the compression stroke, then line up your pin in the injection pump and the cam pin hole should be very close to centered...and you should be able to feel it if you remove the pin and can get a finger in the hole. Then you can remove the p7100 and you will have better access to see whats going on with the cam pin alignment. My pin holder was slightly out of alignment(outside of the arc circle) for some reason, and I never did jam the cam pin all the way in. I already had TDC marked at the HB from a prior timing change. I make sure to have the cam pin and the pump pin out when I loosen the big nut on the pump so I don't accidentally damage either one. I hope all that makes sense. Be careful. There are multiple opportunities, when doing this job, to make a big and expensive mistake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts