Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a ton about turning the pump 1/8 inch. On the other hand I have read that the non i/c trucks already have more advance then the i/c ones. Is it still OK to turn mine 1/8 inch. If my pump is the original ( which it is ) and the timming lines match then can I feel safe about doing it?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No comment?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
You will probably like a timing bump. It won't make as big of a difference as a non-I/C motor, but it will still make a difference. You won't hurt anything without jumping cam teeth, and you can always change it back.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you do yours begle?

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is an aspect I had not considered before. How does this [fuel distribution] pump timing change affect the running of the engine? Clearly it must boost power a little -- maybe without adding more smoke?

What is the timing difference between IC and non-IC? Which is further advanced?

·
First Generation Moderator
2,170 Posts
The non IC rigs are a bit further. Not by much but some. You can play with this and it will not destroy the engine as opposed to what you read in the tech manual. It will create a bit more cyl pressure and, if you do dumb things, like dump a huge amount of fuel into a cold engine it will, over time, weaken the head gasket.

If you need specifics, I'd have to look at the numbers as opposed to guessing them.

A modest bump will lower EGT and have desired effects on some emissions while a negative effect on others. The reason for the backward slide in pump time, among other things with the 91.5 year, was emissions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts