Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just an off the wall question, i know our chips advance the timing curve especially on top end for increased power, along with fuel pressure, my question was, just out of time, are there any if all any damage to our engines with the advanced timing over time, i know its electronically controled, which shouldnt be a problem, but are there any long term affects with this?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I've heard of any problems from timing boxes or from having advanced timing... The older 12V truck would crank upwards of 16* to 18* BTDC for the IP Pumps. There is several of them in the high 500K mile and more...

So I highly doubt your going to do damage from timing...:w:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
No I don't think you will damage anything in the standard user sence... Now there are guys that have had melting issues with waay too much timing and fuel, and somtimes other stuff that comes in a bottle... But as for a normal user no I dont think you will have any issues. Remember that the 04.5+ timing is severely retarded from the factory to NoX emissions and smoke reduction, which is why the mpgs aren't as good, there is hardly ever, if ever, any smoke, and the EGT's are thru the roof. This is why I have a Smarty Jr on mine, the timing is back where cummins would probably have put it without EPA interdicting.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Remember that the 04.5+ timing is severely retarded from the factory to NoX emissions and smoke reduction, which is why the mpgs aren't as good, there is hardly ever, if ever, any smoke, and the EGT's are thru the roof.
Yes. Cummins would have the timing advanced considerably (probably about what a chip/programmer does) if it weren't for emissions.

The only "negative" effect of running advanced timing is increased cylinder pressures which *could* blow a headgasket. Aside from that, there aren't any long term effects...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts