Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that i got the front end completly off, i'm wondering if anyone knows of a few things that i should take care of while its apart. Does Cummins still make a gasket for the Timing cover. Someone told me that last they heard they just siliconed them back on. I'd rather have a gasked with silicone cuz i dont want to ever do this again.

any tips would be real nice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If i had mine like that, radiator rodded out . $ 90.00, some shops has the tools to do the plastic ones.

Replace water pump
Have bearings replaced in alternator $ 35.00
New belt
New Air con compressor
Bearings in idle pulley.

Think i got it all. adding new water hoses

My air con still works pretty god, with the 134a and 280++ miles preventive maintenance is the cheapest way.

·
Registered
963 Posts
First off are you taking off the gear aluminum housing or just the front cover, personally I use Loctite 5699, and a crankshaft seal if you are doing just the cover. The dowel is to the left of the injection pump gear, be sure it is in fully and stake the cover. If you are doing the gear housing you need dowelling 14 inches of 1/2 put a slice with a hack saw to hold up the cam followers. Buy a pan gasket, gear housing gasket blue Loctite, and a valve cover gasket. Clean it before you take it apart, and use a torque wrench. PLAY SAFE!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dowel is to the left of the injection pump gear, be sure it is in fully and stake the cover
Is this the dreaded dowl pin like on the 12v's? Other than that the compresser is dead anyways, Hoses and water pump changed out in jan thanks to a ruptured oil cooler. Radiator has been flushed about 2 dozen times with simple green again thanks to ruptured oil cooler, But not idle pully bearings. i guess i'll do it. Why not.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I poped off the cover, The KDP is solid and secured in the block, I think i'm going to stake it just incase...The cover was Siliconed on there. The Gear housing itself i dont know if that is leaking. If it is, someone els can do it...I'm not about to pull off all those gears and pull out the Cam. It looked like it was leaking because all the oil and dust was caked right against the block ontop of that, but Richard pointed out that the fan does blow it everywhere wherever its comming from. So i'm just gonna silicone the cover back on the Aluminum and put it all back togather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts