Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 97 12V that just got over the 200,000 mile mark and the water pump gave out. I'm replacing that this weekend and have heard mention that while doing that it'd be a good idea to have a look at the timing chain.

Is that recommended? I also couldn't find any info on when they should be serviced, any idea?

It's a bit intimidating because I've never messed with timing before but found this post "Timing in 40 minutes (12 valve, 2nd gen engine)" which makes it sound not too bad.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
I've got a 97 12V that just got over the 200,000 mile mark and the water pump gave out. I'm replacing that this weekend and have heard mention that while doing that it'd be a good idea to have a look at the timing chain.

Is that recommended? I also couldn't find any info on when they should be serviced, any idea?

It's a bit intimidating because I've never messed with timing before but found this post "Timing in 40 minutes (12 valve, 2nd gen engine)" which makes it sound not too bad.
If you can find a timing chain on a 12v cummins let us all know..... anywho... one thing you could do is check to see if the kdp has been tabbed. If you don’t know what that is google search it and do some research.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
There isn't a timing chain. The timing you linked has to do with injection timing. You have a lot of reading and learning to do. Start here Beginners Thread - Read First!
then use the search function to research every topic you can think of. I'm still learning things after 23 years of ownership.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Injection timing on a diesel is akin to ignition timing on a gas engine. Basically it determines when the explosion will happen relative to piston position. A timing chain in a gas engine sets the crank to cam relationship, and basically determines when the valves will open relative to piston position. The timing chain function is taken care of with gears in the 12 valve cummins, so there isn't a chain to replace. But those gears can be damaged if the killer dowel pin (KDP) falls out into them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts