Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what works

well i am looking at the new g/y dura trac or the hankook dyna pro mt have heard alot of good stuff bout the hankook and it does get good on hiway millage but havent heard bout the goodyear

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
depends on what you want to spend, the toyo open country a/t work good

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just got the Interco Vortrac, 35x12.50x17. They look great, should have them on my truck Mon. Or Tues. I hear they're getting 40k per set and have have a 3640 lbs. Load E rating! More to come when they're mounted and balanced!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
How about these? YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR AT/S in 315 70 17 th
ey measure right around 35 inches tall and are rated at 3300 lbs. each. They are super quiet going down the road and were only about $850 shipped.LOVE these tires I'll buy them again.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Guys,

I think he is looking at the dually tires, which limits things a lot... There really is not much of a good selection for the dually, least in the stock size of 235/80-17" and stay in a E range.
I know some have gone to the 265's with no problems, but with the extra width you would not keep a good even wear across the tread if you ran 80 psi air in those to hold up the weight if you use the truck... Guess you could just wear them more down the middle though and have a little better selection of tires LOL...

I really want to go with 19.5" tires and wheels, much better selection with those. Just the added expense of the new wheels. I have read and been told they get much better mileage with the 19.5 tires if you get good tires. I just like the fact they have some with all steel carcus(sp) which has the side walls much stiffer, so they stand up and roll better. I use all steel carcus tires on my trailer and love those, they are 16" Michelins... Pricey but I get over 150K miles from them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i have had nothing but bad luck with yoko ono tires plus i need a tire with good offroad traction where i live is primarily gravel roads that turn to slop every time it rains wich here in kansas .......well who knows what the weather will be ....would really like to get 19.5's but can bearly afford tires as it is much less the cost of 6 more wheels ...and yes i am looking for "dually" tires with an "e" wall ....and the kicker is i drive 50 miles a day on pavement 6 days a week...so i need some that will have decent milage considering the goodyear are 190 a pop and the hankook are 180 a pop ...would go with nitto but yhey dont wear good in the mt version

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Toyo M-55

Consider the Toyo Lt 235-70-17 M-55's They were designed for heavy use on gravel roads. Precision built and sturdy tire. E rated of course. They sing a little at 50-60 mph,but mild.

·
08 Cummins
540 Posts
The up side to Toyo's are they are great when it to road surface trackson, maybe the best. The down side is I didn't get the milage out of them when compared to Michalens. I get higher milage out of Machalens but they are terriable on wet roads. Higher milage right, have never gotten more then 45K out of any tires on a 2500.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got my Vortrac's mounted today, Very quiet and smooth for a 35". They're more aggresive than they look in the pictures. The guys that put them on couldn't stop saying how good they looked....they liked my vertical...(Navigator) grill too! More updates when i get some miles on them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had nitto terra grappler at's (265/70/17) on my 03 and will never buy that tire again, they lasted only 25K. and it seems like towing heavy really kills the tread on them. also i couldnt go anywhere in them, you could pee in front of the tires and they would spin out.

now i have toyo open country mt's on my 09 (285/75/17). They are a little pricey, but totally worth it. i have almost 20K on them and the fronts are 50% and the backs are about 70%. I can go a lot more places with these tires in 2wd than i could with my nittos in 4wd.

i'm sure the bigger tire helps and all, but the toyos are great tires. Definately will buy the toyos again. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I put 72,000 miles on my American Generals. I put about 70,000 on my Toyo Tires. These were your standard highway tire and I towed with a 40' gooseneck trailer loaded between 20-35,000 pounds everyday all day. Never had a problem withe either set of tires. The Toyo's were about 1600 and the American Generals were about 1200 installed. :thumbsup:

·
08 Cummins
540 Posts
I put 72,000 miles on my American Generals. I put about 70,000 on my Toyo Tires. These were your standard highway tire and I towed with a 40' gooseneck trailer loaded between 20-35,000 pounds everyday all day. Never had a problem withe either set of tires. The Toyo's were about 1600 and the American Generals were about 1200 installed. :thumbsup:
I must be doing something wrong if you get that much. Wheel alignment checked, tires rotated every 5K, no signs of abnormal wear. Oh well, so it goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love the way the goodyear dura tracs look. They are very aggressive looking with a high load rating.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How about these? YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR AT/S in 315 70 17 th
ey measure right around 35 inches tall and are rated at 3300 lbs. each. They are super quiet going down the road and were only about $850 shipped.LOVE these tires I'll buy them again.
I also am running these tires, have been now for my last two pickups, I also am on gravel roads most of the time and they hold up great and do excelent in all kinds of weather, I won't buy another Tire for a long time, I've also heard Good things about Toyo's too they have a similar tread disign

·
Registered
188 Posts
The american generals lasted me about 60k, and I hope to get 70k out of my michelin ltx m/s tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts