Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Tie Rods, please inform

1218 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  95 SLT
Well just got the call from the alignment shop and they told me that my tie rods are shot and my stabilizer bar is shot :thud: truck only has 43k on it.... so my question is what brand should I go to? and how much is it gonna cost me?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you would think dodge would have figured it out by NOW and put a decent front end under these things... esp with the weight that is sitting on them

· Registered
264 Posts
Ask them how they know they are bad. Did they unhook the stabilizer? Is it the dealer? Have you greased the tie rod ends often?

Pete

· Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No i wouldnt take it to a dealership I took it to a guy who does ALL of the alignments on all of our vehicles, semi's trucks cars you name it he has done all of our stuff since I can remember he showed me the play in them... its the tie rod ends (center bar) and the upper tie rod which goes into the pitman arm.

· Registered
766 Posts
Is one of the clues wandering/drifting? I've notice my truck, while cruising down the highway tends to wander/drift in the lane. I've got 26K.

· Registered
2,331 Posts
Is one of the clues wandering/drifting? I've notice my truck, while cruising down the highway tends to wander/drift in the lane. I've got 26K.
Yep, my right side tie rod was bad so i drifted to right!! Couldnt align it either

· Registered
766 Posts
Well, took the truck in, and it's the steering box.
Funny thing..well, maybe not funny...the dealer said they normally don't release the vehicles w/ problems like this, but they did released mine. They said, "Just drive carefully.".

Uh...okay.

Good news...it's under warranty.
:thumbsup

· Registered
908 Posts
I just had the shop replace my tie rods and adjust ball joints. Bill was 390. Both upper and lower were replaced. I thought I needed ball joints but it turned out to be the tie rods. Truck was drifting but now its straight and rides good.

· Registered
766 Posts
I just had the shop replace my tie rods and adjust ball joints. Bill was 390. Both upper and lower were replaced. I thought I needed ball joints but it turned out to be the tie rods. Truck was drifting but now its straight and rides good.
How many miles you got?
I'm at 27K.

It this the first time for for the tie rods?

· Registered
766 Posts
Good to know I've possibly got 40K more to go on mine.
Thanks

· Registered
262 Posts
Get a second opinion on those ball joints fella's.
Mine have 200,000 on them and there fine.

Stearing stabalizer and gear box is more of a factor in stearing.
I don't mean the stearing damper either.
I installed an aftermarket stabalizer.:thumbsup

Another good alternative is the stearing mod of the first gens. Only 2 bars.
One being a straight bar from wheel to wheel. The other is direct from the pitman.

Lower control arms are to weak also.
Get the solid adjustables and crank'em tight. I looked under a new truck and they have not improved on the above mentioned since '95:thud:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.