Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been slowly working on getting a truck put back together. Ended up with the truck as a partial trade for a keep I had. It was fire ringed about 20k miles ago. They left water in the cooling system and it ended up freezing. Pushed freeze plugs out, lifted the head, broke water pump, and broke the oil cooler. I had recently picked up a truck that had a rebuilt 12 valve that I initially planned on using but decided to save that for the future project as I didn’t want to waste it on this 400k mile truck. Instead I opted to put a 98 12 valve motor with 195k back in that I had set aside for the future project to keep it simple and timely.

Ended up thinking about it long enough and decided to go ahead and re gasket it while it was out. Pulled the head off and had it surfaced and 60lb springs put in along with power driven diesel hardened retainers. Bought a complete mahle gasket set to re gasket whole motor. Was pulling the pan off yesterday to clean and install new gasket and found some concerning tid bits.

At this point I’m thinking I should have used the other motor that was rebuilt, because this motor is trending that direction. Curiousity got the best of me and I tore the rest of the way down trying to find where the parts came from as it wasn’t evident when it was a short block. After pulling everything it’s still not evident. Guess at this point I’m going to take everything to the machine shop and have it all checked and see if it needs any machining. Then at that point new bearings and pistons.

Attachments

·
Formerly Az2500Cummins
1,540 Posts
Looks like pieces of the camshaft retainer to the upper right of the penny.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

·
Formerly Az2500Cummins
1,540 Posts
Is the killer dowel pin still in the front cover?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts