Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is a 99 5.9 auto. I recently heard a ticking sound when I shut the engine down. It happens at the same time the belt squeak is happening. I don't know if this has happened before (first time I heard it) but it makes a ticking sound about three times, tick,tick,tick and thats it. It is not very loud. I am not having any problems at all with the truck and it is running great. Is this just a normal sound at shut down?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I believe its fine, just stuff shimming back and forth.

·
Registered
793 Posts
if it is happening with a belt squeak check out everything there.:thumbsup

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is happening at the same time as the belt noise at shut down. It does not sound like it is coming from there. It sounds like it is coming from lower on the engine. I do nothear it at any other times..

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
maybe get one of those gator belts, so squeeking stops, then, maybe you will be able to find the noise easier without the squeeking of the belt

·
Registered
793 Posts
not real sure im positive someone will let us know

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's really not bothering me. I just wanted to make sure it was a normal sound and not something going wrong.

·
Registered
215 Posts
when i shut down my 12V it feels and sounds like the motor is going to come out through the hood..lol but i dont have any belt squeak with the new napa belt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts