Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 dodge, when hot or normal operation temp. At about 45-50 throttle pedal has a lot of travel with out response unless let off or foor it!!!! Im hoping it is a thottle positioning sensor. Please assist before I buy the wrong part. And what is a air dog? Newbe at this diesel thing.:confused013:

· Registered
5,648 Posts
Airdog is an aftermarket lift pump look up Pureflow on the net and you will see what else its susposed to do. your symptoms sound like a dead pedal, before you buy any parts you need to pull the codes and confirm your fuel pump pressure. otherwise your just wasting money on parts.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do i get codes? No check engine lights come on or any thing in the dash, let me also make a note that the truck is all stock other than airaid and 96000 miles on the beast. Do i need a device that will let me know my problems that hooks up under the dash?"? (pretty much need a seeing eye dog do lead this blind man!!!

· Registered
193 Posts
Call your local Auto Zone or Auto Parts dealer and ask them if they will check for codes on your truck with their code tester. In many cases they will do it for free.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I will give it a try. I will let all know what the deal is so we all can trouble shoot more accurately. Next time this question arises.:yourock:

· Registered
5,648 Posts
If you want lots of reading do a search on this site for "dead pedal" and you could be reading for months, it usually is one of the following,
1) APPS
2) VP44
3) lift pump
Usually option #3 failed taking out option# 2

· Diesel Filled Veins!
5,772 Posts
You can get your own codes. Cycle the key (without starting the truck) three times and on the third cycle ON leave it on (not running) and you can read your own codes on the odometer. Write them down and post them, someone will be able to help you out. I'll see if I can find the code table....

Ok this is a link from Mopar1973man (also a member here). Check out his sight at www.mopar1973man.com for tonnes of info on your Cummins!

The link to trouble codes table - http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/pdf/error-codes.pdf

· Premium Member
21,579 Posts
after you floor it and let off does it quit doing it for a little bit and come back? if it keeps doing it i think it may be time for a new ip. if not then try an apps reset to see if it gets any better. also clean your battery terminals. need any help with the reset then check out the trouble shooting thread at the top of the forum.

· Registered
193 Posts
You can get your own codes. Cycle the key (without starting the truck) three times and on the third cycle ON leave it on (not running) and you can read your own codes on the odometer. Write them down and post them, someone will be able to help you out. I'll see if I can find the code table....

Ok this is a link from Mopar1973man (also a member here). Check out his sight at www.mopar1973man.com for tonnes of info on your Cummins!

The link to trouble codes table - http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/pdf/error-codes.pdf
The key ignition trick only works on 2000 - 2002 trucks.

· Registered
5,648 Posts
yeah and it only works on some 00-01, mines an 01 (built mar 00) and it does not work on mine. I have to use a scanner. no idea why they call mine an 01, most manufactures change the model year on the 9th month, so a oct 01 truck should be an 02 model yr....

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys just got home from the grindstone and Ill try the key trick . Ill let you know what i find and whats a APPS?

· Registered
5,648 Posts
Hey guys just got home from the grindstone and Ill try the key trick . Ill let you know what i find and whats a APPS?

Did you read the Blue chip link I posted? APPS is another name for TPS which is throttle position switch, or accellerator pedal posn switch. If you have a 99 the key trick will not work, In order to fiqure out your problem you need the codes and know what your fuel pressure is

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I did the key thing and the dash read Pcu 1693 1st then read pecu 0216. I read the link on bluechip and maybe you can help me better understand but the description he said about the tps or apps is if you throttle it out and get a response and if you let off abit you will get a response and thats what i get BUt the codes are saying differently? so I dont know which way to go apps or vp44, 50$ or 1200$ big difference.Help S.O.S.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.