Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not getting full throttle travel. I had my buddy floor the accelerator from the cab and I still had a quarter inch or so until it contacted the stop. After researching I think I need to adjust the index on the throttle shaft. I assume it will idle faster and I'll have to adjust my low idle screw accordingly. Am I on the right track? Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I noticed while checking for runaway after a 366 install. I don't believe I had full travel before.

·
Super Moderator
23,314 Posts
Someone could have backed the high idle stop out so they had full throttle. Do you have much play in the throttle rods?

Reactions: jerrylittle78

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a rebuilt pump should be at stock since I've never messed with it. With the pedal on the floor I can pull the linkage to the high idle screw under the hood by hand and break it over. I'm not sure what you mean by throttle rods.

·
Super Moderator
23,314 Posts
Throttle rods are the 2 ball ends that connect the throttle arm on the IP to the linkage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both ends snap tight on the ball and are long enough to let the throttle lever rest on the low idle adjustment screw.

·
Super Moderator
23,314 Posts
Reactions: jerrylittle78

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I'll watch the video when I get home. I believe I'm annoying my wife by being on cummins forum while we're grocery shopping lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you remove the hex nut from the top of the throttle shaft and pull the top link connector off and plastic bushing and lock washer you will see a series of lines. On the side closest to the radiator, the slot in the throttle shaft should line up with the second one down. On the side closest to the firewall, it will line up with the second line from the bottom.

hope that wasn't confusing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually I saw that video when I first bought my truck. I had it like that for a year or so. When I installed my new pump I put the throttle rod back to the stock position for some reason. I bet that fixes the problem.

I'm still a little hesitant though. That mod will get my throttle lever to contact the high idle stop for sure, but if it is indexed a tooth off it still wouldn't technically be @WOT correct?

I don't want to run on and ask a million questions but wouldn't it be better to get it indexed to break over while the throttle rod is in the stock position? Then do the mod in that video for the throttle response.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you remove the hex nut from the top of the throttle shaft and pull the top link connector off and plastic bushing and lock washer you will see a series of lines. On the side closest to the radiator, the slot in the throttle shaft should line up with the second one down. On the side closest to the firewall, it will line up with the second line from the bottom.

hope that wasn't confusing.
I had read that all pumps do not nesesarilly line up with the same marks. Good news is that I photographed it when I took it apart. The sun was going down when I re installed the throttle and I was in a hurry. I may be off a tooth. I'll check it all out in the morning. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Super Moderator
23,314 Posts
Actually I saw that video when I first bought my truck. I had it like that for a year or so. When I installed my new pump I put the throttle rod back to the stock position for some reason. I bet that fixes the problem.

I'm still a little hesitant though. That mod will get my throttle lever to contact the high idle stop for sure, but if it is indexed a tooth off it still wouldn't technically be @WOT correct?

I don't want to run on and ask a million questions but wouldn't it be better to get it indexed to break over while the throttle rod is in the stock position? Then do the mod in that video for the throttle response.
You will only get the max RPM's that your pump has for a gov. spring. If your going to far then use the high idle screw to back it off some.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't resist, I went out and did the full throttle adjustment in the dark. Wow! I've never accidentally peeled out on dry pavement. It's still not hitting the stop when I floor it. I've got to raise the star wheel tomorrow to clean up all the smoke. I left a stop light and blacked out the intersection.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Did you happen to check the index marks?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was dark and I didn't want to lose springs spacers washers etc. I've come across a few threads where people will put spacers on the throttle cable where it connects to the pedal which gives them more throttle travel. I may try that before i go and try to re index the throttle shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need a source for the ball ends on the throttle rod. One end popped off the ball.
Appear to be M6 X 1.00 reverse thread on the female end. 93 Dodge Ram Cummins.

·
Super Moderator
23,314 Posts
I need a source for the ball ends on the throttle rod. One end popped off the ball.
Appear to be M6 X 1.00 reverse thread on the female end. 93 Dodge Ram Cummins.
Welcome to Cf

Cummins is where to get them P/N 4089076 it's a kit, ball studs, ball ends and threaded rod. They are metal ball ends not plastic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts