Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like the "best" answer is a SRW 3500. That is what I use to pull my 42' fifth wheel, and daily drive. Feels great with the trailer behind it. Over 100,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier.

I know that wasn't the original question but that is my .02.
Rock-solid advice.

I have a SRW CCLB and can't even imagine having a DRW. One can learn to live with the dually in their area (no drive-thrus, ATMs, etc.) or maybe they live in a rural setting, but you have to consider you'll be traveling with your 5er a lot, to a lot of different places. Most tourist spots are simply not made for big trucks. It's one thing to have to park at the back of the lot at Walmart, another when you have to park a few blocks away from your destination at tourist areas - it will get old really quick :)

DRW would "technically" be more stable, but I tow 40' 5er and have zero stability issues or any other truck capability issues.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I've driven my buddy's dually in the snow and it won't make it up a 1% grade in 2WD. Even with 300lbs of sand in the bed.

I can't get it to stay pointed in one direction on a less-than-perfect road. Wants to wander all over the place. He had his front end checked out and they said it was darn near perfect.

Maybe it's the F-350's???
They suck. I mean, they really, really, really suck. I know that's gonna make the owners of them in here mad as a wet hen but I'm telling you...... They suck. (ETA: When they're not loaded) Just my totally worthless opinion. :)

Look at the specs on virtualy every car ever made. Know what they have in common?

The Front Track is almost always wider than the rear track.

There's a reason for that. A big reason. Handling.

Then there's the parking. And the tires.

Some people love driving a dually. But, some people go swimming in frozen lakes, too.

If you NEED a dually, get one. Nothing else will do the trick.

If you don't NEED one, you've got my 2 cents.

Which is about what it's worth.

Good luck and do what's best for you. Don't listen to me.

another ETA:
Ask a couple of Dually owners how much fun they are in the snow :)
I've owned two dually trucks, which were used for pulling heavy equipment or gooseneck trailers, but were also my daily drivers. I'm currently driving a RAM 3500 dually with a 6-speed manual as my daily driver.

I've also owned 4 other heavy duty, SRW trucks. I feel like I can compare. Frankly, they don't drive any different! I live in northern New England. We get nearly 100" of snow on average annually. The dually goes as well in snow as the SRW. To be honest, my SRW trucks also could get no traction in snow without significant weight in the bed. Neither can the dually. In 4WD, they go very well. With either my SRW or DRW trucks, I'd put 1000lbs of sand in the bed. Even with that they didn't go great in 2WD. But suffice it to say, in 4WD, a dually goes just as well in snow as a SRW. The skinnier tires actually provide better traction. Parking? Yeah, it can be tougher. A skilled driver can still fit in most places; otherwise, you get a little more exercise. But if we are honest, if you can't fit a dually in, you're probably not fitting a crew cab HD SRW truck in either.

Tires? They are smaller and less expensive. There are 6 of them, but expect a long tread life.

Handling? Yeah, the dually handles better. And less likely to roll over.

Some people just aren't comfortable driving a larger truck, but in reality these are great rigs. I love mine and going forward I'll always have a dually.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Have you towed your 5er with a dually? I had no concerns when I had my 2500 pulling my 5er either. I just didn't realize how much more stability there is when you move to a dually.

To the OP, if I were in your shoes I'd buy the dually considering it's a $2500 difference, it is definitely the correct tool for your future plans. Although one thing to consider that I didn't.... Property taxes. We have property tax on our vehicles. Because of the GVWR on the dually I am now taxed at a commercial rate even though it's for personal use. My property tax on my 2014 2500 was about $600/year. This dually is $1968/year. I almost had a heart attack, but nothing I can do about it other than sell the truck.

Rock-solid advice.

I have a SRW CCLB and can't even imagine having a DRW. One can learn to live with the dually in their area (no drive-thrus, ATMs, etc.) or maybe they live in a rural setting, but you have to consider you'll be traveling with your 5er a lot, to a lot of different places. Most tourist spots are simply not made for big trucks. It's one thing to have to park at the back of the lot at Walmart, another when you have to park a few blocks away from your destination at tourist areas - it will get old really quick :)

DRW would "technically" be more stable, but I tow 40' 5er and have zero stability issues or any other truck capability issues.

·
4,002 Posts
I have towed with everything form a 1966 International half ton truck to and 18 wheeler. My latest trucks were a 2006 Ram 2500 5.7 gasser. That was just gutless. Then a 2005 Ram 2500 5.9 CCLB 2wheel drive. That truck pulled very nice and stable, even with the 12,000 lb toy hauler I was pulling. Now the 2018 the 6.7 and 68RE are a great improvement over the 05. It is the soft rear suspension that does not hold up to the rest of the driveline.

Now I know I can always add bags or rubber bumper suspension aids, it just sucks that the trucks that I pulled with back in the 80's and 90's suspension wise did better then a 2018. As I said empty as a daily driver it has a great ride, just too soft for pulling. I wish I could afford a higher model with the factory air ride but I can't. So in the end I will live with what I have until I retire and get the bigger 5er and a dually.
Well I don't wanna derail this thread much more, comparing any suspension from an 80's or 90's 3/4 ton to a 2018 3/4 might be a good discussion. I'll say this, my 1995 2500 felt alittle spongier in the rear than my 2015 2500. I've pulled what I'm guessing was 27ish klbs (short trip) with the 15, which I wouldn't have even tried with my 95'. My rating towing capacity is somewhere around 17klbs and I can confidently say this truck is comfortable on the highway with 22klbs.

I just don't see the argument for the coils being too soft for pulling, I will admit that they do feel soft if I hit a bump or drop in the road. Maybe some stiffer shocks would help control that, but I'm empty way more than I'm loaded so I'll live with it. Seriously though, I've had a soaking wet pallet of treated 3/4 plywood in the back and was still off the bump stops and that was probably well above my 2590 pay load capacity.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yep, same here. Do not need a dually, but its my daily driver. Very seldom do I tow, but I always like having more than less, when needed! Mine drives great on highway and city, truck feel and ride., smooth but firm, but not too harsh. Plus, when driving down road, noticed that other drivers definitely take more caution when driving around me! PROs and CONs, just matter of preference!

Why do I drive it? Because I can! No Tesla for me!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yep, same here. Do not need a dually, but its my daily driver. Very seldom do I tow, but I always like having more than less, when needed! Mine drives great on highway and city, truck feel and ride., smooth but firm, but not too harsh. Plus, when driving down road, noticed that other drivers definitely take more caution when driving around me! PROs and CONs, just matter of preference!

Exactly. This is America, and more is better. Go drive your electric whatever, I'll still be enjoying commuting to work, alone, in my one-ton dually, "hauling air" or whatever the enviro-freaks call it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For $2,500, I'd jump on it. I have towed with a 2500, moved up to my dually and felt a huge difference. I tow alot in my home state where a calm day is blowing (always from the side) 20mph, most times considerably higher. There is no comparison, get blown around hard, or feel like I'm driving on rails. Right now loaded I only hit 11k and can hardly tell it's back there. We plan on picking up a toy hauler in the 18k weight range which is the original reason for getting the won-ton. Mileage, I wish I would have taken a pic of it. We had a stout tailwind coming home last weekend. Terrain was lightly hilly. I was bouncing on the lie-o-meter between 17 to 20mpg at 60mph locked in 5th gear. Then turned north, mileage dropped to 10-12mpg which is normal for us. Running empty, depending on road/wind, at 70 I often see 18-20mpg. Parking, I am getting a little more exercise, I don't try to park close but instead pick mid to outer spots. Driving around in town, easy. I use to drive tractor-trailers in town alot so this is easy for me. Just remember your a little wider and you'll do fine. My only advice to you, jump on it while you can!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have you towed your 5er with a dually? I had no concerns when I had my 2500 pulling my 5er either. I just didn't realize how much more stability there is when you move to a dually.

To the OP, if I were in your shoes I'd buy the dually considering it's a $2500 difference, it is definitely the correct tool for your future plans. Although one thing to consider that I didn't.... Property taxes. We have property tax on our vehicles. Because of the GVWR on the dually I am now taxed at a commercial rate even though it's for personal use. My property tax on my 2014 2500 was about $600/year. This dually is $1968/year. I almost had a heart attack, but nothing I can do about it other than sell the truck.
Make sure you take a close look at your laws. Not saying it is the same in your state but, they had me believing that I had to register my truck commercial because of the weight rating, multiple people that should have known the law told me this. Then I found the clause that allowed for registering it as a private vehicle, regardless of the weight rating, if it was being used for pulling a private RV (or trailer I assume). took me from $250/year in registration, $140 yearly commercial inspection, and much higher excise tax, down to $60 every other year and a $27 yearly inspection.

I had it registered commercial for 2 years before I found the clause.

Just wanted to share my experience.

·
4,002 Posts
Exactly. This is America, and more is better. Go drive your electric whatever, I'll still be enjoying commuting to work, alone, in my one-ton dually, "hauling air" or whatever the enviro-freaks call it.
keep them mirrors flipped up!:stirpot:

·
Registered
1,781 Posts

https://youtu.be/kG6veF_34QE

·
Registered
175 Posts
The whole 2500/3500, SRW/DRW argument is one that will never be truly solved...

Others have made most of the main points... I'll just reiterate how rock solid a dually is going down the road. We carry a 4500lb slide in camper, and pull 9k of car trailer most of the time. Out of 24k miles on our '17, ~18k is towing. Even in 30mph crosswinds across South Dakota, I've never had a complaint about stability.

I didn't haul nearly as heavy when I owned a 2500 SRW truck, but these days I see them on the highway, blowing around. If I were going to haul a big 5er, I know what I'd choose.

Some other real world observations:

Empty, our Aisin/4.10 truck gets 17-18mpg empty at 70mph. I don't really feel a need to go faster, but have run up to 85mph or so (passing, or whatever) with no issues. It gets 12-13mpg around town. Towing, it gets what it gets. Expect single digits with a big 5er.

It's not a daily driver, but I do use it a lot. Yes, a dually can be a pain, especially if you live in dense urban areas. I find the length to be more of an issue than the width, personally. I generally don't have problems with parking. I've learned to back into most spaces, makes positioning easier, and pulling out easier.

As far as ride, if you're not hauling, drop the rear tires to 50-55 and the ride is pretty darn comfortable. Just air up when you load up.

Ultimately, I didn't buy it for grocery runs, I bought it to tow. Thus the DRW and 4.10s. And it does it's job very well.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Background: Right now I have a 2018 2500 MegaCab CTD and we have a 31' travel trailer I tow with it occasionally. It's been great and I love the truck. In the next 1-2 years we're going to upgrade to a ~42' fifth wheel (13-14k lbs). Technically my 2500 will be able to handle it based on the axle ratings but it definitely can't according to a sticker - so that's a little worrisome to me if something ever did happen.

Right now I have an opportunity to get a new 2018 MegaCab 3500 CTD HO dually in the same trim as my truck for about $2500 cash + my trade. The dually will give me capacity to spare, more stability, extra tires, and completely legal. However, I won't actually need it for potentially 2 years.

So my hangups are:
1. I live in the city so there are those normal drawbacks to having a dually (though I always park far anyways). I think I would adjust to it pretty quick.
2. The 3500 has 3.73 gears and the 2500 3.42. I average 16mpg in the 2500 hand calculated - will the 3500 mpg be considerably less? I regularly cruise at 75 - 80 on the freeway and wasn't sure if the 3.73 gears would drain the tank at that speed.
3. I could just wait it out and use my 2500 initially for the 5th wheel and then eventually upgrade to the dually. I'll have to pay more out of pocket for the upgrade this way, though.

What are your thoughts? Pay out of pocket now to save money in the long term or save money now and pay more in the long term.

Also, what kind of mileage do you 3500 with 3.73s get (stock, not deleted)?
2500 to 3500 is an upcharge.
68rfe to Aisin is an upcharge.
Dual rear wheel is an upcharge.

Those alone are worth approximately $4,500.00

Needless to say trade in value will be better in 3500.

Used truck to new again.

I would have wrote the check on the spot.

·
Sasquatch
3,632 Posts
From what I've noticed, the biggest changes in stability comes from length. The most stable truck I've towed with was my father's 4th gen crew cab with a long bed. The worst experience was a extended cab short bed 2nd gen. I had a 5er wag its tail on me when using a strong exhaust brake down hill.

The big drawback of SRW towing is tire wear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can ask you the same thing - have you towed your 5er with a srw cclb 3500? ;)

As I said, in certain outlier situations, the dually may offer a bit more stability, I just never felt my setup "unstable". And I've pulled travel trailers all my life, so I know unstable :)

Regardless of how one feels about a dually, there must be a reason why the OP can upgrade for just $2,500...

·
Registered
378 Posts
The part in bold below is exactly how I felt with my 2500, didn't feel unstable to me. I have not towed with a cclb 3500. My 2500 was a mega so it as about a foot shorter wheelbase than what you have.

I can ask you the same thing - have you towed your 5er with a srw cclb 3500? ;)

As I said, in certain outlier situations, the dually may offer a bit more stability, I just never felt my setup "unstable". And I've pulled travel trailers all my life, so I know unstable :)

Regardless of how one feels about a dually, there must be a reason why the OP can upgrade for just $2,500...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Personally, I have ZERO interest in a dually for the obvious reasons..........size. My 2500 fits in the garage like a 1500 and pulls anything I care to pull. In fact, I would rather keep trailer size down just to keep a smaller truck. But that's just me and everyone has different needs.

·
Registered
13,744 Posts
Background: Right now I have a 2018 2500 MegaCab CTD and we have a 31' travel trailer I tow with it occasionally. It's been great and I love the truck. In the next 1-2 years we're going to upgrade to a ~42' fifth wheel (13-14k lbs). Technically my 2500 will be able to handle it based on the axle ratings but it definitely can't according to a sticker - so that's a little worrisome to me if something ever did happen.

Right now I have an opportunity to get a new 2018 MegaCab 3500 CTD HO dually in the same trim as my truck for about $2500 cash + my trade. The dually will give me capacity to spare, more stability, extra tires, and completely legal. However, I won't actually need it for potentially 2 years.

So my hangups are:
1. I live in the city so there are those normal drawbacks to having a dually (though I always park far anyways). I think I would adjust to it pretty quick.
2. The 3500 has 3.73 gears and the 2500 3.42. I average 16mpg in the 2500 hand calculated - will the 3500 mpg be considerably less? I regularly cruise at 75 - 80 on the freeway and wasn't sure if the 3.73 gears would drain the tank at that speed.
3. I could just wait it out and use my 2500 initially for the 5th wheel and then eventually upgrade to the dually. I'll have to pay more out of pocket for the upgrade this way, though.

What are your thoughts? Pay out of pocket now to save money in the long term or save money now and pay more in the long term.

Also, what kind of mileage do you 3500 with 3.73s get (stock, not deleted)?
What "sticker" tells you your truck can't handle a 13-14K trailer???

I regularly tow 14K actual weight 5th wheels, they are no issue at all for a 2500 Mega cab.

You do as you wish, if you have a big stiffy making you salivate over a new truck, then go for it, but it's not a necessity to tow the trailers you are thinking about.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The part in bold below is exactly how I felt with my 2500, didn't feel unstable to me. I have not towed with a cclb 3500. My 2500 was a mega so it as about a foot shorter wheelbase than what you have.
I'm not so sure about that.
In your case, you would see a difference, because you were switching from 3/4 to a dually - stiffer suspension, longer wheelbase, etc. I bet you would've felt the same way if you were to switch to cclb srw instead of a drw. But in my case (from srw to drw), I can't imagine seeing any improvement, the 5er is on rails as it is.

All I'm saying is that there are some serious drawbacks to a dually, not just as a daily driver, but as a 5er towing vehicle. And if you don't need the hips (i.e. towing some serious weight), I don't see a reason to suffer with the extra width.
I do envy the rear blowout safety with the dually, though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What "sticker" tells you your truck can't handle a 13-14K trailer???

I regularly tow 14K actual weight 5th wheels, they are no issue at all for a 2500 Mega cab.

You do as you wish, if you have a big stiffy making you salivate over a new truck, then go for it, but it's not a necessity to tow the trailers you are thinking about.
The sticker is the 10,000 GVWR which says my payload is like 1800 lbs :-\ That's what I was referring to since the pin weight of the trailers I'm looking at start around 2400 lbs. I know my truck can handle considerably more than that, though.

With the 3.42 gears, the max tow rating for my truck (according to Ram's website) is around 13,000 lbs. My only concern with that number is: will towing up to 14,000 lb put too much stress on the 68RFE transmission with the 3.42s?

Also, to address the "stiffy for a new truck", that's definitely not the case. I'm actually pretty hesitant to get it, I'm just looking at the long term investment.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts