Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve found this kit and would like to know yalls thoughts on permanently mounting it under the hood on top of the fuel filter. I know it’s good to monitor fuel pressure but would rather not have another gauge in the cab but still have something that will tell me fuel pressure at a glance. I’ve also looked at the 12mm Schrader valve banjo bolt that fits into the top of the fuel filter housing and am wondering if it would be ok to be permanently installed and then just adapt a gauge to fit when a check of fuel pressure is desired. Thoughts? Good or bad? One better than the other?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I have that gauge and helped me diagnose a failed lift pump. It will definitely point you in the right direction when trouble shooting a problem.

However it doesn't show you pressure drop under load, which is also important. It's a toss up I guess. I would rather have a gauge in the cab.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that because of its location top of the fuel filter housing? Also, will it show pressures at idle and at 2200 rpm which is, as I’ve read, the 2 points fuel pressures are usually recorded?

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Is that because of its location top of the fuel filter housing? Also, will it show pressures at idle and at 2200 rpm which is, as I’ve read, the 2 points fuel pressures are usually recorded?
No that's a fine spot to check fuel pressure. Problem is that gauge stays under the hood. Hard to check it while going up a hill.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have that gauge & snubber from Larry B. I mounted it to the filter banjo bolt per the LarryB instructions. Even with the snubber included with the gauge, the need fluctuated so wildly I really couldnt read it - especially with the visibility angle.

I ended up buying an ISSPRO electric gauge and ISSPRo's installation kit (which includes a grease gun hose). From the banjo bolt, I go to a needle valve (to dampen the pulses) and then a tee with the LarryB gauge and the ISSPRO sender mounted on the fender liner. This gives me in-cab (the ISSPRO gauge) and underhood visibility (the LarryB gauge).

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
If it's mounted in the cab then you'll always be able to read it especially when your truck starts to run bad. I used a brass needle valve to stop the bouncing on my gauges.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check out Speedhut gauges (speedhut.com). They have a full line of customizable gauges. You can order a fuel pressure gauge kit to go inside your truck, comes with sensor, fuel line fitting, wires and bezel. I have one in mine and love it, also has a low pressure setting, light that will get your attention if your pressure drops below your set pressure. They are a little pricey but I am very happy with mine for over 5 years now and no problems.

·
The Uppity 12v Guy
8,140 Posts
I second an in-cab gauge because watching how the needle behaves can tell you more than what the needle is pointing to.

However, if you're set on an under-hood install, the gauge will not survive being directly mounted to the engine. It needs to be remotely mounted, and use a needle valve instead of a snubber.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
I use a 3' grease gun hose for my fuel pressure gauges to go from the engine to inside the cab.

·
Registered
391 Posts
As has been mentioned, mounting it there will give you pretty wild fluctuations, even with the snubber. You can use a piece of 1' grease gun hose to calm it down for mounting under the hood, or you can get a longer one and mount it in the cab. I put the Larry B gauge under my hood for setting fuel pressure and an ISSPRO in cab for monitoring while driving under load.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am not sure what Larry B wants for that gauge but I bought a glycerin filled 60 pound gauge from Napa for 20 bucks and put it under the hood before the filter. I also have a Hewitt mechanical gauge (aircraft quality) in the cab. They read within 2 pounds of each other. I isolated the Napa gauge with a snubber and a piece of a hose. The Hewitt has a needle valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts