Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im planning on buying a 1998.5-2002
dodge 2500 cummins within the next year or so and want to know of any problems and thoughts on this engine/ truck... or would i be better off wih a older 12v
in time i also plan on getting some engine mods.
thax.:peelout:beer

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just set aside abour $1300 for a programmer that includes guages and a good lift pump and you will be set...

and there are soooooooooooooooooooooooo many people out there with 53 blocks that never have a problem....they "can" crack the water jacket under the freeze plugs if you run it out of water, or start it up and run it hard and get the top end real hot while the bottom end is still cold....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Overall the first gen of the 24valves is a great truck, they have some issues with the lift pumps getting weak and starveing the injection pump, and the front end tends to wear out fast, it's a 94+ issue. Still a great truck, i loved my 2000 and if I could i'd go back to it.

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
um I got a 99 for ya..

·
Registered
340 Posts
i love mine ! only thing is the fuel pump, vp 44 sucks when they go out

·
Registered
316 Posts
Watch out for the 53 block, no worries in the 2002 block, buy it bone stock from and old man if you can, auto trannies are weak with mods but great if rebuilt by the right person. I love my 2002 wouldn't get rid of it for a newer one or and older one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts