Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you take off in 1st gear or 2nd? 1st is so short, it seems kinda like a waste to use it without a load behind it.
mine seems to take off fine in 2nd.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
2nd gear here. I've done that in 4 and 5 speed gas and diesel trucks for 30 years. Just use granny when you have a house to move, stump to yank or turtle to race. Our truck will take off in third gear and no throttle. Don't do it often, but the torque is there to do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
2nd gear every time. even pulling I normally use 2nd

·
Registered
37 Posts
2nd gear most of the time unless i am loaded

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Your owners manual states that when unloaded, it is fine to launch in 2nd gear, which is also what I do. I only use first if I'm towing/hauling.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good to know. i just wasn't sure if i was just going to wear out the clutch faster by doing it. i never have to rev it or anything but with all that torque i don t know!
but, 2nd from now on then, i can feel better knowing that i'm not the only one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
couldnt this depend a lot on your rearend ratio? i have 4.10's and 2nd is easy to start off with but i can see where it might not be quite as easy with 3.55's

·
Registered
258 Posts
I usually start in first, but sometimes second. Don't really know why, just always have.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
If I'm up in the woods hauling firewood I would use 1st gear...

But most street driving I use 2nd... Sometimes I forget and use 1st anyways... (Most of the fire trucks require 1st gear...):w:

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
2nd all the time unless I need to creep around the shop or driveway. Then it's 1st.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have seen that the guys saying second all have the six speed tranny, and the feller askin the question has the 5 speed NV, I use first and just short shift through the gears, if the clutch goes out from short shifting oh well gives me an excuse to upgrade from the stock clutch but i always start in first

·
Registered
199 Posts
2nd gear here also

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
When I was shopping for a Cummins the dealer told me it was best to start out in 2nd. We test drove one 2 weeks prior to me buying mine and he started off in a 6.7 in 5th and it did it! I smelled a burned clutch but he was just trying to show me how powerful these trucks really are.. O yeah, I bought the 5.9 :lol3: :thumbsup :hyper:. (I wonder who bought that 6.7 with the half ways already burned clutch???)

·
Registered
46 Posts
6000lb trailer w a 10000 lb excavator and a 4000lb bobcat as long as its flat i use 2nd however ,im looking for a reason to upgade the clutch:w:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have seen that the guys saying second all have the six speed tranny, and the feller askin the question has the 5 speed NV, I use first and just short shift through the gears, if the clutch goes out from short shifting oh well gives me an excuse to upgrade from the stock clutch but i always start in first
hmm... i didn't notice that. yeah i have the 5 speed. i wonder what the difference in ratio is between the 6 sp and 5 sp. 2nd gear.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
hmm... i didn't notice that. yeah i have the 5 speed. i wonder what the difference in ratio is between the 6 sp and 5 sp. 2nd gear.

I got that covered...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts