Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 dodge 3500 DRW truck. It is a Laramie automatic loaded out with all of the options except 4wd.
I am about to roll over 210k miles with it and I just have to say I am anything but happy with this truck. I have always heard so much good stuff about the trucks and everyone on here seems really happy with theirs but in MY opinion, my truck is nothing but a headache.
This thing has left me stranded more times than anything I ever had.
I have already chenged the transmission once, torque converter twice, Fuel pump, all the hoses, the fan clutch, and properly maintained it all for it to currently have a fan that does not work, AC and heater not work, lights bulbs going out every couple of weeks, charging system not working even though its all new parts, rack and pinion going out, window and door locks work when they want to, and the truck just now started smoking like a freight train with white smoke!
I have had Chevrolets and a Ford 7.3 and never had any of these problems. My ford even had 52s on it and I drove it daily!

Did I just get a dud or is a dodge cummins worth me dropping more of my hard earned money on. I am desperatlely looking for another truck and I am trying to decide what to get so I can get out of this POS that makes me miserable everyday!:confused013:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Personally it sounds like you got a lemon... Have 2 cummins, happy with both. Did you buy it new or used? If bought used, you never know how the last guy treated it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah that's a big piece of helpful info, was it new or used. If you got it used, go buy a new one and see how much better it is. If it WAS new then yeah you got a bad apple.

·
Registered
679 Posts
+ you dont have a rack and pinion... but i say lemon or poor pm.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought it used with 74k miles on it. All worked well when I got it for a while then all of this stuff, I am pretty sure I have rack and pinion steering. It is a 2wd

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm not an aoutomatic tranny guy, but I can't believe those big @ss rims and tires wouldn't be hard on your tranny as well. I would think a programmer with that big of a set up would be brutal... Anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
so you're pushing around 39.5" tires with a 100hp programmer, and wonder why you've had trans issues, maybe it's that rack and pinion retrofit kit!!:spank:
this may be out of line, but go ahead and get one of those new 6.4 powerstrokes with the self changing head light fluid and muffler bearings, and be done with Cummins once and for all :confused013:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like it was made late on a Friday. But anyway most of the problems don't sound directly related to the engine itself. I would be hard pressed to purchase another Chrysler product with those problems, but you do have 210K on it and it seems like you really use your vehicle. Best bet maybe what you are doing and off load it vs. sinking more money into it.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Is it just me or does anyone else not see a problem.....Could you post a pic so I can see your 2wd 3500 on 39.5's with a 2" level?? No wonder you've had a tranny go out.....:doh:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the tranny go out before I put the truck on the 22.5s with 39s. I had the tranny built up with performance parts and put the wheels and tires on after that. As I said before I am pretty sure I DO have rack and pinion steering and mine is screweing up. turns great to the right and bad to the left. as for the engine now it is to where if I drive it for a while and it gets up to temps it white smokes like a fire out of my single stack. If I turn it off it does not want to start again until it cools off.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Well I may be wrong just don't see how your running 39" tires on a 2wd dually....it does have rack & pinion no clue what that guy was talking about....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the standard tire size that mosy guys are running with their 22.5s is a 255-75-22.5 which is about 37 inches tall.
I am runningthe four outer tires which are 255-85-22.5s and the two inners are the exact same height but they are 265-75-22.5s which measure up to a hair over 39 inches tall
I had problems on here one time with people not believeing me and I posted pics along with the measuring tape shown. I cant seem to find it in the search though.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I'm not trying to call you a liar just seems like alot of tire front & rear for just a 2" level.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is alot of tire. It is squeezed in there too and still I havent had any rubbing with it either.
I have a few codes that come up in the dash when i do the 3 key turn thing. I have these
0483, 0088, 2502, 0117, 2509,0480, 2509. Does anyone know how to fix these I have been trying everything since everytrime i drive this truck i have to spend the next day working on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts