Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having tranny problems in my 01 with an auto

my question is does the trannsmition shift 1st gear 2nd gear 3rd gear then lockup then od

or is it 1st then 2nd then 3rd then od then lockup

thanks for any help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the truck wont shift in od or lockup untill i let of the petal then get back on it but it doesnt hold like it used to cuase if i dont let off it will just keep runnin up to about 65 mph before it desides to lock up or od and this is with me just babbying it and not launchen it and my fuel milage really sucks is only 13 unloaded no trailer

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
on these trucks the od is lockup why whats going on
Not true.
The 47RE has 3 gears and an over drive. Lockup can happen in 3rd or in OD depending on whether the OD is engaged (ya know, the little button on the end of the shifter).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
the truck wont shift in od or lockup untill i let of the petal then get back on it but it doesnt hold like it used to cuase if i dont let off it will just keep runnin up to about 65 mph before it desides to lock up or od and this is with me just babbying it and not launchen it and my fuel milage really sucks is only 13 unloaded no trailer
With light throttle the lockup should happen at around 47 mph. If your hard on the throttle it won't happen until you let off a little after 47 mph.
Check the electrical connections and grounds on the transmission. If that don't help then I would be looking at the transmission itself, it could be a lockup solenoid issue.

You might also check to make sure your brakes are not dragging, the added resistance from a dragging brake could simulate a load and cause the lockup issue and poor mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill start fromthe begining when i got my truck about 1 year ago it would shift fine and lock up hard and blow coal then one day it went in limp mode and i found it to be a bad solinoid and transducer i replaced both but ever since then it doesnt lock up quite as hard had to a bunch of tranny shops and said it was fine cuase it only had a stock heavy duty upgraded torque convertor and they siad it was just finally workin right but now in the last month the issue came up about the not lockin up at all unless i let off and it only seems to knock the rpms down about 200-400 rpms is this all normal

about a year beforew i bought the truck the tranny was totally rebuilt and a bd valve body was put in it and the problem i was having ( it going in to limp mode) was cuases by to much pressure blowing out the pressure transducer (this was per bd valve body tech guy at bd ) and he told me to till a weep hile in the transducer and all seemed well but

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with light throttle it takes to at least 55 mph and around 2200 rpm to lock up

·
Registered
253 Posts
Note that the rear clutch is applied in all forward ranges (D, 2, 1). The transmission overrunning clutch is applied in first gear (D, 2 and 1 ranges) only. The rear band is applied in 1 and R range only.
Note that the overdrive clutch is applied only in fourth gear and the overdrive direct clutch and overrunning clutch are applied in all ranges except fourth gear.
For example: If slippage occurs in first gear in D and 2 range but not in 1 range, the transmission overrunning clutch is faulty. Similarly, if slippage occurs in any two forward gears, the rear clutch is slipping.
Applying the same method of analysis, note that the front and rear clutches are applied simultaneously only in D range third and fourth gear. If the transmission slips in third gear, either the front clutch or the rear clutch is slipping.
If the transmission slips in fourth gear but not in third gear, the overdrive clutch is slipping. By selecting another gear which does not use these clutches, the slipping unit can be determined. For example, if the transmission also slips in Reverse, the front clutch is slipping. If the transmission does not slip in Reverse, the rear clutch is slipping.
If slippage occurs during the 3-4 shift or only in fourth gear, the overdrive clutch is slipping. Similarly, if the direct clutch were to fail, the transmission would lose both reverse gear and overrun braking in 2 position (manual second gear).
If the transmission will not shift to fourth gear, the control switch, overdrive solenoid or related wiring may also be the problem cause.
This process of elimination can be used to identify a slipping unit and check operation. Proper use of the Clutch and Band Application Chart is the key.
Although road test analysis will help determine the slipping unit, the actual cause of a malfunction usually cannot be determined until hydraulic and air pressure tests are performed. Practically any condition can be caused by leaking hydraulic circuits or sticking valves.
Unless a malfunction is obvious, such as no drive in D range first gear, do not disassemble the transmission. Perform the hydraulic and air pressure tests to help determine the probable cause

it sounds like the overdrive unit might be gitting weak or a valve in the valve body might be getting stuck

Reactions: pepsi71ocean

·
Registered
253 Posts
with light throttle it takes to at least 55 mph and around 2200 rpm to lock up
check your detent cable from the tps to the transmition it is located on the driverside should be near one of your tranny cooling lines ill posthow to check and adjust the cable

ADJUSTMENTS - TRANSMISSION THROTTLE VALVE CABLE
A correctly adjusted throttle valve cable will cause the throttle lever on the transmission to move simultaneously with the throttle body lever from the idle position. Proper adjustment will allow simultaneous movement without causing the transmission throttle lever to either move ahead of, or lag behind the lever on the throttle body.

ADJUSTMENT VERIFICATION

Turn ignition key to OFF position.
Remove air cleaner.

Verify that lever on throttle body is at curb idle position (Fig. 226). Then verify that the transmission throttle lever (Fig. 227) is also at idle (fully forward) position.
Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body lever.
Compare position of cable end to attachment stud on throttle body lever:

Cable end and attachment stud should be aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1 mm (0.039 inch) in either direction (Fig. 228).
If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned (off center), cable will have to be adjusted as described in Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment procedure.
Reconnect cable end to attachment stud. Then with aid of a helper, observe movement of transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body.
If both levers move simultaneously from idle to half-throttle and back to idle position, adjustment is correct.
If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of, or lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment will be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents transmission lever from returning to closed position, cable adjustment will be necessary.
ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
Remove air cleaner if necessary.
Disconnect cable end from attachment stud. Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off.
Verify that transmission throttle lever is in fully closed position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
Pry the T. V cable lock (A) into the UP position (Fig. 228). This will unlock the cable and allow for readjustment.
Apply just enough tension on the T. V. cable (B) to remove any slack in the cable. Pulling too tight will cause the T. V. lever on the transmission to move out of its idle position, which will result in an incorrect T. V. cable adjustment. Slide the sheath of the TX cable (D) back and forth until the centerlines of the TX cable end (B) and the throttle bell crank lever (C) are aligned within one millimeter (1mm) (Fig. 228).
While holding the T. V. cable in the set position push the T. V. cable lock (A) into the down position (Fig. 228). This will lock the present T. V cable adjustment.
NOTE: Be sure that as the cable is pulled forward and centered on the throttle lever stud, the cable housing moves smoothly with the cable. Due to the angle at which the cable housing enters the spring housing, the cable housing may bind slightly and create an incorrect adjustment.

Reconnect the T. V cable (B) to the throttle bellcrank lever (C).
Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not true.
The 47RE has 3 gears and an over drive. Lockup can happen in 3rd or in OD depending on whether the OD is engaged (ya know, the little button on the end of the shifter).
that the overdrive clutch is applied only in fourth gear and the overdrive direct clutch and overrunning clutch are applied in all ranges except fourth gear
from alldata and dodge:party018:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
that the overdrive clutch is applied only in fourth gear and the overdrive direct clutch and overrunning clutch are applied in all ranges except fourth gear
from alldata and dodge:party018:
If you go back and reread the original post, I think you will see the lockup being talked about is the torque converter lockup. He has not asked about planetary gear clutch or band slippage.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you go back and reread the original post, I think you will see the lockup being talked about is the torque converter lockup. He has not asked about planetary gear clutch or band slippage.
The overdrive clutch (Fig. 112) is composed of the pressure plate, clutch plates, holding discs, overdrive piston retainer, piston, piston spacer, and snap-rings. The overdrive clutch is the forward most component in the transmission overdrive unit and is considered a holding component. The overdrive piston retainer, piston, and piston spacer are located on the rear of the main transmission case.

NOTE: The number of discs and plates may vary with each engine and vehicle combination.

OPERATION
To apply the clutch, pressure is applied between the piston retainer and piston. The fluid pressure is provided by the oil pump, transferred through the control valves and passageways, and enters the clutch through passages at the lower rear portion of the valve body area. With pressure applied between the piston retainer and piston, the piston moves away from the piston retainer and compresses the clutch pack. This action applies the clutch pack, allowing torque to flow through the intermediate shaft into the overdrive planetary gear set. The overdrive clutch discs are attached to the overdrive clutch hub while the overdrive clutch plates, reaction plate, and pressure plate are lugged to the overdrive housing. This allows the intermediate shaft to transfer the engine torque to the planetary gear and overrunning clutch. This drives the planetary gear inside the annulus, which is attached to the overdrive clutch drum and output shaft, creating the desired gear ratio. The waved snap-ring is used to cushion the application of the clutch pack.

not to be an in any way but research about the transmition first all transmitions are a little diffrent the one you are thinking of is in a 97 chevy 350 the transmitions like that have a valve in the oil pump that controls torq converter lockup

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
silvertungdemon You should have chosen copypastedemon as your handle. What you are offering is not helping the original poster with his problem. Unless you can offer usable advice to him it's time you stop posting in his thread.

·
Registered
253 Posts
follow what i find and it will help tell if the od unit is going bad or not if it is going bad replace or rebuild if not start looking in another direction mechanics 101 start easy and dont guess you guess you are throwing money around and not fixing the problem anyways getting back on subject ignoring you has the origional poster found out anything wrong yet or no

·
Registered
253 Posts
sounds like it is in the valvebody if it shifts in all gears but not 4th or a delayed 4th if it is slow at shifting in all gears it might be in the throttle valve if not then its either in the valve body or the od unit itself if the oil looks burned (blackish and smells burnt) then the clutches in the od unit may be fried

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i didnt have a chance to look at it today need to fix the brakes in my car but i did drive it it shifts 4 times fine then when it goes to 50 mph 2000 rpm in od i let of and i guess it sorta goes in lockup but only lowers the tach a maxumum of 200 rpm

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i didnt have a chance to look at it today need to fix the brakes in my car but i did drive it it shifts 4 times fine then when it goes to 50 mph 2000 rpm in od i let of and i guess it sorta goes in lockup but only lowers the tach a maxumum of 200 rpm
When it goes into lockup from OD is the lockup a solid feel like another gear shift and do the rpms drop right down on the tach or is it a mushy connect and the rpms slowly drop?

If it's not a solid shift and the rpms drop quickly it could be the TC lockup clutch is going bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its firm and the rpms drop right away but its not like when i got the truck and before all the other problems it would lock up hard and really make the motor grunt now its just like it goes in doesnt do much and then when i get on the petal the rpms go right up like its in any other gear

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
its firm and the rpms drop right away but its not like when i got the truck and before all the other problems it would lock up hard and really make the motor grunt now its just like it goes in doesnt do much and then when i get on the petal the rpms go right up like its in any other gear
If the lockup is solid the rpms should go up slowly when you get on it, as the speed increases. If they increase faster than the speed increase, something is slipping. That something could be the TC clutch or the OD unit. The OD units are notoriously weak on these transmissions.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If the lockup is solid the rpms should go up slowly when you get on it, as the speed increases. If they increase faster than the speed increase, something is slipping. That something could be the TC clutch or the OD unit. The OD units are notoriously weak on these transmissions.
yea i agree the torq converter clutch or the od unit is starting to fail

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.