Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the unfortunate experience of my third power steering pump, in 3 years, take a dump yesterday. I am at a loss :banghead:. I never turn the wheels at a dead stop and have always treated the steering as nice as I can. The truck only has 35s on it which I wouldn't think would be that hard on a stock pump. I have been fortunate enough for all 3 to go out in town and not on a trip with the toyhauler behind it, but now I am starting to worry. I run the ATF +4 in the system also. Any Ideas? I am going to put an inline filter in the system this time but am really getting tired of switching these out. On the plus side I have the pump replacement down to about 1.5 hours from start to finish. I have been using pumps from O'riellys with a lifetime warranty so at least it is free to replace them. I just really don't want to pay dealer prices for a new pump.

· Registered
3 Posts
Question for ya. when you say it goes out what is happening to it. does it leaks or freeze up, ect. i would make sure that your powersteering cooler is working or has a good flow. second i would look at getting a steering stablizer(spelling) brace, not referring to the shock.

· Premium Member
310 Posts
"Been there, done that"! From what I understand, just a crummy pump. I am currently visiting with a rebuilder to find out his opinion/statistics on the pumps that they rebuild the LEAST! Then I want to put one on my truck! Maybe someone on here who works on work trucks/military vehicles daily can chime in with their opinion.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I kind of wondered if the pump was just a crappy pump in general. I just wonder what these guys with 37's and bigger tires are doing? My little 35's are beating these pumps up and I can't imagine what the bigger tires are doing to them. I put the new one in yesterday and also put a filter in on the return line going from the hydro boost back down to the resivoir so hopefully that catches any crap in the system. Only time will tell I guess. But now I am really sensitive with the pump and swear i can feel vibration in the steering wheel while at an idle that wasn't there before. Its probably me being crazy. I just REALLY don't want to switch another pump out. I may just order the steering brace kit anyways for an extra piece of mind.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm on #5 or 6 in three years. I went through napa pumps like crazy, oreilly's pump is on there now, but its starting to go I think. I'm going to get the updated reservoir and bracket so I can run the upgraded pump (with the bolt-on back cover instead of the snap-ring) and give that a whirl. The pump that lasted the longest was a mopar pump out of a salvage yard, ran about 1 yr with no issues, so I know for a fact dealer pumps are better, I just cant bring myself to throw down 400 bones for one.

· Registered
576 Posts
The pump has been superceded like 9 times from the dealer since 03. Don't mess with the aftermarket rebuilt units that just have a rebuilt version of the old crappy design. Get a fresh new style OEM pump and be done with it. The newer trucks with the new pump design do not have the longevity issues. As well, run an inline filter on the return line and ALWAYS flush the system when installing a new pump. Unfiltered, contaminated fluid will fry a fresh pump quick. These particular pumps do not deal with foreign contaminants at all and fawk up quick. Ask me how I know...

· Registered
120 Posts
well my pump went out this weekend. been researching some ideas and will be adding a filter and cap mod. I read that the bolt backplate ones are better but will it work to replace my pump which is a snap ring back plate? looking at pictures looks like a close match just seeing if anyone has first hand knowledge. thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.