Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of switching to a duramax. I test drove a rust free lly duramax with 229k. It handled better then my 2nd gen and have the same amount of power. My question is would you rather hang on to a manual 2nd gen cummins with 253k miles that’s has all new fuel side, 5 speed and new clutch but body is all rusting out or make a switch to a rust free duramax that doesn’t have many if any mods but head studs done to it.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,416 Posts
Honestly, even my buddy who is a die hard GM guy doesn't want to hold onto his much past 200k Not that i'm a fan of the vp44, but at least you can put a P7100 in it. Can't really do that with a duramax

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly, even my buddy who is a die hard GM guy doesn't want to hold onto his much past 200k Not that i'm a fan of the vp44, but at least you can put a P7100 in it. Can't really do that with a duramax
Yeah I get that I just hate how rusted my truck is getting and how fast it’s rusting out. My rear doors are starting to get hard to open which sucks and the back seat on these dodge extended cab is a joke the duramax is a four door.

3,768 Posts
Thinking of switching to a duramax. I test drove a rust free lly duramax with 229k. It handled better then my 2nd gen and have the same amount of power. My question is would you rather hang on to a manual 2nd gen cummins with 253k miles that’s has all new fuel side, 5 speed and new clutch but body is all rusting out or make a switch to a rust free duramax that doesn’t have many if any mods but head studs done to it.

Hmmm, why not switch to a 2022 Duramax with zero miles on it! :)

The real question is how much are they asking for the used 2004-05 LLY Duramax?

Have you inspected the used Duramax from top to bottom?

Reactions: Voltronics

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,416 Posts
Yeah I get that I just hate how rusted my truck is getting and how fast it’s rusting out. My rear doors are starting to get hard to open which sucks and the back seat on these dodge extended cab is a joke the duramax is a four door.
Just think, if you get a quad cab 3rd gen the back seat is still a joke, just as bad as the 2nd gens. lol

Do you gain some things moving to a GM for other amenities, yes. Do you loose things as well, yes. If the truck is worth it, go for it. You'll go through a lot of front end parts, and find out the engine and tranny are really only good to 200-300k miles on those trucks. the rare trucks see upwards of 400-500k. Meanwhile you see the same mileage on cummins trucks with people driving them into the ground and abusing them....If the GM had 150k miles on it, in your shoes i'd highly consider it. Being that that truck is already nearing the end of it's mechanical life, no, i'd pass.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,416 Posts

My guess would be the same reason i didn't buy a new truck when i was rocking a 2nd gen. The monthly payments and affordability. It's a lot easier to stomach a 20k truck loan moving out of a 2nd gen then a 60-100k truck loan. And honestly reading the OP, it sounded to me like a straight trade offer

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The duramax is going for around 18k completely rust free 229k miles studded four doors full leather has zero leaks zero codes no blow by coolant in the tank isn’t black which would hint towards a head gasket leak the rad hose after running the truck doesn’t get hard after sitting which would also be a indication of a head gasket leak. In all reality I would only put 10k miles a year on it back get rid of the truck before 270k miles. Just don’t know the reliability of a duramax.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess would be the same reason i didn't buy a new truck when i was rocking a 2nd gen. The monthly payments and affordability. It's a lot easier to stomach a 20k truck loan moving out of a 2nd gen then a 60-100k truck loan. And honestly reading the OP, it sounded to me like a straight trade offer
This would be a straight trade.

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
Rust free 4 door. I'd consider it. The lly isnt bad imo. Boss ran one hard. The odo quite around 350k. Pulled a 6 horse trailer at 80mph all over the country its whole life. Trailer was around 18k-24k depending how much tack and other crap he had in it. Ran hard and put away hot and wet every time.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,416 Posts
The duramax is going for around 18k completely rust free 229k miles studded four doors full leather has zero leaks zero codes no blow by coolant in the tank isn’t black which would hint towards a head gasket leak the rad hose after running the truck doesn’t get hard after sitting which would also be a indication of a head gasket leak. In all reality I would only put 10k miles a year on it back get rid of the truck before 270k miles. Just don’t know the reliability of a duramax.
Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad trucks are anything. But the front ends are weak, and you will be looking to be either the last owner of the truck, or the second to last owner of the truck. Things will start to fail soon if they haven't already. The same can be said for a lot of vehicles over 200k miles though

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad trucks are anything. But the front ends are weak, and you will be looking to be either the last owner of the truck, or the second to last owner of the truck. Things will start to fail soon if they haven't already. The same can be said for a lot of vehicles over 200k miles though
Yeah I’m just on just torn and wonder if anyone has any experience switching if it they liked the switch it regretted it. What also scares me is I don’t know the history of my truck before I bought it with 230k miles and now it has 253k miles. So it makes me wonder if either will make it to the 300k mark.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rust free 4 door. I'd consider it. The lly isnt bad imo. Boss ran one hard. The odo quite around 350k. Pulled a 6 horse trailer at 80mph all over the country its whole life. Trailer was around 18k-24k depending how much tack and other crap he had in it. Ran hard and put away hot and wet every time.
I like the sound of that just wonder how long one would last compared to a vp44 truck with a 5 speed manual.

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
It's all in how they are cared for really. Vp44 doesnt have a stellar life expectancy if it's not treated properly.

3,768 Posts
This would be a straight trade.

^^ That is a critical detail...

So straight trade:

"2nd gen cummins with 253k miles that’s has all new fuel side, 5 speed and new clutch but body is all rusting out "
for a 2004-05 "LLY Duramax, rust free with 229K miles."

Neither truck is worth anywhere near US$18k.
If that Duramax is decent no one would ever straight trade it for your 2nd Gen based on your posts.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
12,416 Posts
Yeah I’m just on just torn and wonder if anyone has any experience switching if it they liked the switch it regretted it. What also scares me is I don’t know the history of my truck before I bought it with 230k miles and now it has 253k miles. So it makes me wonder if either will make it to the 300k mark.
The issues with your VP44 truck are in your signature. Switch it out to a P7100 and those are no longer issues. One pro to your truck, is if something brakes, it's accessible. Go pop the hood on that duramax, and find the turbo and the injection pump. I'll wait

Servicing The GM Duramax Diesel Engine

Your truck is cheaper and easier to work on. You could speak with a body shop and get a quote on fixing the door and the rust just to see what it would be. If i were you, i would examine if you really need a truck, or if you want a truck. (honestly have no idea what your needs are) If it's a want, not a need, sell the truck for top dollar in todays market, and then get a car for a while until the market collapses and then you can get a better truck if you saved the money

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would do the switch at long as the truck is in good condition and has been maintained.

They're phenomenal trucks.
I went from a 2nd gen to a Tacoma to an 04.5 LLY.
I bought it with around 350,000km and took it to nearly 500K.

I had to do one water pump, 2 front hubs, brakes, and ball joints.

At around 485,000km the factory injectors began to fail starting with #7.

The cab is really nice. Orders of magnitude better than 3rd gen rams. 4 full size doors and the rear seats fold flat.

They get great mileage too, I got better mpg than my 2nd gen.

The Allison will never leave you stranded either. Shifts are crisp and on time. No Chrysler slush box.

They handle superb on the highway, no mushy steering, no wandering. IF maintained, the front ends track straight alot better than the POS Chrysler set-up.
They're also pretty quiet on the highway too, which I like on long drives.

The "hard to work on" is pretty subjective. I'm not pulling wrenches every weekend, but even the injectors were not that bad to replace.

Headgasket is probably the most labor intensive major repair when compared to a Cummins.

I've owned both platforms for >5 years each and if I could get back into a clean 01-07 Duramax for a decent price I would do it in a heart beat.

I would run an injector balance test. The injectors are a lot easier to replace on the LLY, they do not require valve cover removal.

Reactions: Voltronics

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^^ That is a critical detail...

So straight trade:

"2nd gen cummins with 253k miles that’s has all new fuel side, 5 speed and new clutch but body is all rusting out "
for a 2004-05 "LLY Duramax, rust free with 229K miles."

Neither truck is worth anywhere near US$18k.
If that Duramax is decent no one would ever straight trade it for your 2nd Gen based on your posts.

Yeah it’s been inspected and test drove 2 times. The duramax is driven daily and has been driven to me twice now and each drive is an hour one way

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The issues with your VP44 truck are in your signature. Switch it out to a P7100 and those are no longer issues. One pro to your truck, is if something brakes, it's accessible. Go pop the hood on that duramax, and find the turbo and the injection pump. I'll wait

Servicing The GM Duramax Diesel Engine

Your truck is cheaper and easier to work on. You could speak with a body shop and get a quote on fixing the door and the rust just to see what it would be. If i were you, i would examine if you really need a truck, or if you want a truck. (honestly have no idea what your needs are) If it's a want, not a need, sell the truck for top dollar in todays market, and then get a car for a while until the market collapses and then you can get a better truck if you saved the money
I guess it is a want but then again my truck hasn’t let me down once only left me stranded once because my lug nuts stripped off going around a corner and I had to get a new knuckle and caliper and rotor.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's all in how they are cared for really. Vp44 doesnt have a stellar life expectancy if it's not treated properly.
Is the vp44 decently reliable if it was put on brand new with a brand new fass and fed 14psi all the time or a little more and nothing less?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts