Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made a few concessions when I got my '02. It was an older body style so it was more affordable, the only thing I could find at the time was an auto, and because it was an older body style, I settled for the rear suicide doors. I got it at 48000 and it just turned 83600, and I've been toying with the idea of replacing it with a 3rd gen truck, this time a six speed. My thought is to get the "ten year truck", meaning the one that I'll have for the next several years, so it has to meet all of my criteria this time. I'm pretty much limited to '03's - '05's, and being unfamiliar with them, I'm wondering if any of those three years is a must avoid. One specific question is about the '03. Does the CP3 from that year have the same rep as a VP, since it was brand new at the time and hadn't had the bugs worked out? Comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
I don't believe any of the 03 to 05 truck's fall under the Stay away from column. And nope, the CP3 in any year is in no way shape or form the problem that the VP44 can be.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Ditto what Brian said. I love my 'o3!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Some 03 had plastic end tanks on the intercoolers, can crack. 04's have been reported to get best mileage, and I think the 05 six speed have the most power from the factory of the 03-05 model years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The years you have mentioned are all good trucks, but so are the second generation trucks. The vp44 is not for hotrodders who expect it to hold up under conditions it was not designed for but when the fuel pressure is closely monitored and the truck is driven like it was intended, it is not unusal for the vp44 to last 250,000 or more miles. In my opinion anything that lasts over 200,000 miles and can be bought for $1,000.00 is cost efffective.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got my 04 6 spd. I was in the same boat kinda. I have had loads of trucks just never THE one. I finally decided to buy THE one I have always wanted. 4 door 2wd 6 spd. long bed. It took me FOREVER to find one. plan on keeping it for a long damn time. So far I am averaging between 20 and 21mpg. I do 50/50 city/hwy driving.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Anything before the 04.5's are cat free I am told, except CA trucks. My early 04 is cat free so I was able to mod my exhaust without worrying about it interfering with an emissions test if that is a concern in your area. I don’t think you could go wrong with the years you’re searching.
If you’re going to keep it for several years buy some manuals on that year and read and understand them like they’re a new bible.
IMO women are more complicated than anything that could ever go wrong with a Cummins or a Ram.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
03 or 04 with the 305/555 engine would be the ticket. Especially with the NV5600. They seem to get the best mileage.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 03, 6 speed and i wouldn't trade it for the world!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Anything before the 04.5's are cat free I am told, except CA trucks. My early 04 is cat free so I was able to mod my exhaust without worrying about it interfering with an emissions test if that is a concern in your area. I don’t think you could go wrong with the years you’re searching.
If you’re going to keep it for several years buy some manuals on that year and read and understand them like they’re a new bible.
IMO women are more complicated than anything that could ever go wrong with a Cummins or a Ram.
Good luck in your search.
Amen brother...pass the midol..

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
not all 05 have plastic end caps on intercooler and the auto and manual models have same hp/tq. the major changes between 03 and 05 were made in 2004.5 +

1 - 14 of 14 Posts