Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

thinking of swapping and would like a little input

763 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  dodgediesel59
So guys, i am strongly leaning towards a p pump when my vp dies again. I wanted to do it when it died the first time, but there was not that much info out and all i did hear was that nothing with the truck would work right. Now that everybody has it down to a science i am really thinking hard on it. So here are my questions.

1. I have a fancy fass system set at 15 PSI. What can i do to change pressure up to the 45 or so the 7100 needs? Fass says i can change the motor, its a 300 dollar upgrade, but a motor is not going to change pressure i wouldnt think?

2. I have 125 horse injectors and would probably just pull em and have the pressures set to match the 7100. Is this going to be a problem with performance, or with the pressures being reset it should be as good as any expensive conversion injector?

3. What kind of mileage can i expect with a 5-600 horse p-pumped 24 valve?

4. I use the truck for pulling fairly heavy trailers(12-18K). I have 4.10s so not horrible. What do you guys think would be a good setup to get 5-600 horse and still have something that can hold a grade with a heavy load and not cook the pistons into the block? Its nice now because i can just shut down the comp.

5. Dysfunctional truck? Will i have any problems with functionality other than having a CEL light on? The light can be removed, thats no big deal but will all my gauges and tach work the same?

Hope you guys can give some insight as i am damn sick of my VP and just waiting for it to send the white flag out and quit on me. It has had a fass pump for its whole life but you know how these damn pumps get.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
ON the fuel system, I wouls try to sell it.. They wanted 325 for pump exchange from FASS.. I sold the system for 350 bucks and paid another 150 and got a NEW AD150 with lafetime warrenty... 2cents

There is a thread wrote up on CompD about injector pressures.. Don M wrote it.. Goes into detail on performance.. I had mine changed and cleaned for 50 bucks.

Milage will depend on ur right foot.....

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea the right foot has a mind of its own some day. I have just been told by some that you can get better economy out of a vp44 compared to a p7100 but not really sure. I know my 96 12 valve was turned up to around 550 and i could only pull 17's.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am getting 19.5 highway right now with everything in my sig. That is going about 63 but i can do it. I would be happy if i could still hit 18 highway and 13 or 14 pulling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.