Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to kow what problems you have with your trucks. i am in the market for a truck and dont know what brand to go with. thanks.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
Thats a broud question. There are all kinds of pro's and con's with all trucks. Make and models. Best bet is to drive any and all trucks you have in mind and then start your research.

·
On call 24/7
12,345 Posts
As long as its got a cummins its good. That narrows it down a bit for ya.

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,672 Posts
:ditto::lol3::lol3::lol3:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've had my truck (see my sig line) since May of 2007.

Problems? I had my driver seat foam replaced (it fell apart, poor design by Dodge), and the cab sprung a water leak, both within the last few months. Both issues were taken care of under warranty. My truck has just over 26,000 miles on it.

I think the quality of the interior fit & finish, and materials is lacking. The plastics scuff very easy, the door locks, sliding rear window & door panels rattle. While most people on this forum don't like it, I do like the YES Essentials cloth seat upholstery. I spilled a big splash of Rockstar energy on the seat, and it just pooled up, didn't even begin to soak in. Wiped it up with a damp towel, and that was it.

The truck can tow dang near anything (love the Cummins), and it drives pretty nice.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Here is my 2 cents....

I currently own an 05 dodge dually, it is by far the cheapest built truck I have ever owned. The interior is about a 2.5 out of 5. She shakes rattles and rolls down the road and the ride quality sucks. But the cummins is by far the best, strongest motor I have ever driven.

My previous truck was an F-350 with the 7.3L and it was as tough as a truck can get. Id give the interior a 4 out of 5. It was a very solid work truck towing MACHINE yet the ride quality was slightly better than my current mexican built dodge. The weak point was definatly the ford transmission.

I also had a chevy. while the interior was probably a 4 out of 5 nothing can beat the allison transmission, the duramax is damned quick BUT cummins just has that raw torque I love soo much

As far as problems that I've had with my dodge... nothing major. Just flimsy construction with ultra cheap materials.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth. I really enjoy my truck but I'm not in love with it and I'm not married to it so I think I can be objective. First, steer clear of anything with an NV 5600. I got seriously cheweded out when I claimed they were junk to the guy who replaced my exploded one (it just fragged itself with an empty bed and no trailer) but in my estimation, the NV 5600 is a piece of crap. There's a reason New Venture Gear went teat's up. Second, I have an 03. I've met several people in the real world and online in the virtual world who have the same knock that I do. It sounds like a rod bearing and it is loud. I get looks in parking lots all the time because it sounds like a rod is about to bust through the crank case. There's a great vid on YouTube about this. The fuel injectors and some other fuel related parts were changed half way through 2004 so I would look for a 2004.5 or newer. Nobody seems to know what the knock is but for anywhere from a grand to $4K they'll make it go away. If I had it all to do again, I would have waited for an 05 or 06. I figure I can dump the CRD and find an older 24 Valve for a lot less. I hope this helps. PM me if you need anything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts