Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh yeah, if you get one, get it with the pop-out window in the front so you can, 1) Use your beer window and 2) Clean the rear window of your truck when needed.
This basically sold me hahaha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
What is the opinion on a backup camera with a cap?

I don't have one on my truck but I feel like it will be more difficult to see, I assume I should get one?

Maybe you're thinking of a 'Cargo' camera??

I would think the cap would block that. It blocks the bed lights, too.

I still wouldn't have a truck without one. In fact, if I couldn't have one, I'd probably just get an Expedition or something.

I don't work my truck. Few people in here actually do. Some do. They're a different breed. I'm a little jealous of them. If it weren't for the word 'work' being in there.

But most of us?

Weekend warriors.

I also have a mat in mine. A Weathertech. It came with the spray-in liner so I don't need a drop in liner. But you do need (IMO) a mat. The drop-in liner is okay, at best. But things tend to slide around on it quite a bit. If you go that route, look at a rubber mat to put over it.

Your knees will thank you.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Like the title says, I've been thinking of getting a cap for my truck for some time now.

I think mainly using it during the winter but with a kid, dog and lots of hobbies it would be nice to have the extra space to throw things in the bed and keep the elements out and keep things secure.

I like my tonneau cover I have but I can see use for all three setups, open bed, tonneau cover, and cap.

And no I'm not an old man. Lol

Pros and cons?

Recommendations on brands?

Pics and experience with you cap?

If used Snugtops on my last 4 trucks. No issues at all. Somebody else said and I agree to make sure you get the drop down window for access to the truck rear window for cleaning or access. :blues:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Lmao thanks for the input. I like the way they look and love the idea of the extra storage.

I don't like the idea of storage of the cap itself when I take it off. I need an open bed from time to time and don't mine taking it on and off. But want to be able to do it myself and need a spot to put it out of the way.

Thinking of doing some type of ceiling hoist.

I thought about that myself. Not sure there's a good answer without a fork lift (put a wood pallet on the forks)

If you're thinking about taking it off by hand, I think you'd need four men. More for balancing it than anything. It shouldn't weigh much more than 250 lbs, I would think. Wear leather gloves so you're not digging fiberglas out of your fingers for the next 6 weeks

I thought about a block and tackle or a chain hoist in the garage or barn but, I can't figure out how to make that one work without damaging the padded rails on the bottom of the cap.

Maybe talk to the guy you buy it from. I bet he'll take it off and store it for a nominal fee.

I've had my removable window on my cap out exactly twice in the last two years. You seldom use it, but when you need it....... You need it.

Oh, and face the window toward the rear of the cab of the truck initially so you can open and close it from your rear seat. Some people like to face it toward the rear of the truck so they can open it from the bed of the truck.

I still haven't figure out which is better. I have it facing the cab for now.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
My opinion here;

While I'm not a believer in a 'cool factor' for trucks, I am a believer in avoiding butt-ugly.

And some of the caps are just that -- Butt ugly.

Just get one that's flush with your truck's cab roof and go on down the road.

And while I'm at it..... Most of the reasons you'd have to remove your cap, you can just use a trailer. Much easier; including loading and unloading. Rent, buy (or better yet) borrow one.

If you're towing a 5th wheel, I'm not sure I'd bother with a cap.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't forget to add a Bedrug after you install a cap. It's easy on the knees when you are crawling on the bed and keeps cargo from sliding around.
When or if I sell the truck, the bed under the BR will look like new.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Don't forget to add a Bedrug after you install a cap. It's easy on the knees when you are crawling on the bed and keeps cargo from sliding around.
When or if I sell the truck, the bed under the BR will look like new.
I had a bedrug on my prior truck. It was nice. MUCH better than knocking your kneecaps out of joint crawling around in the bed of the truck.

I like my weathertech 'TechLiner' more gooder. https://www.weathertech.com/ram/2017/ram25003500/techliner-bed-tailgate-protection/ram-2500-3500-box-size/6-4-box/ram-2500-3500-rambox/no/

But that's for my use. Yours might be different. I liked the softness of my bedrug but it wasn't quite what I needed

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I have the ARE Z Series on mine. It has the pop put rear windows, liner and fold down rear window.

Love the folding rear window for cleaning the rear cab window and the front of the canopy window.

I also have a Cargo-Glide bedslide! This is without a doubt, one of the best adds to my truck. For sure I've lost some cargo space but the convenience of not having to climb in and out of the bed is well worth it.

Reactions: dedduck

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think you'd be happy with any major brand. Just pick the looks and features you want. Toppers/caps are very handy but I also wanted to be able to take mine off easily. I rigged up a hoist for mine.

Harbor freight winch (1500lbs), some pulleys, some 2x4's and 2x6's, eyelets and carabiners. The topper is about 200lbs (not as heavy as you'd think), the lowest rated thing in my set up is the carabiners at 200 lbs but I'm using four so they should be fine. My set up wouldn't be possible without the roof rack channels. I cut some metal pieces 4" long, drilled and tapped them, 2 per side, and slid them in the roof rack channels, then just thread in an eyelet when I'm ready to lift it off. I also added some aluminum on the underside of the rack channels to add some strength. See attached photos. PM me if you want some more details. DSC_0017.jpg DSC_0022.jpg DSC_0018.jpg DSC_0024.jpg

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Definitely nice to have when you need it. I had a Leer. No complaints. I just didn't like driving around all the time with it and got tired of taking it off/on so much. So I went back to a Tonneau Cover.

I had the same Topper on my '05 and moved it to my '14. Some awesome deals out there on used ones. Since I took it off/on so much, simply couldn't justify buying a new one. Actually sold it to a guy with a late model Ford. Fit "ok"...:wink2: Sat on the bed rails fine and clamped down ok. He was in the same position as me, just needed it once in awhile so couldn't justify a new one. For $250, he loved it just fine! :grin2:

FWIW - here's a lineage info link - https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/1090274-leer-lineage.html#post12152754

Reactions: Suny and dedduck

·
Registered
292 Posts
I personally like toppers. I had one in my 2007 Tacoma CC and one on my Ram. Same manufacturer (ARE) both with Yakima racks. I buy the base model, recommend the folding front window for cleaning the rear window.

Quality seems good for money?

I think most the major brands are good (Lund, Leer, Snugtop, ARE)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
I generally run an ARE on my 1500 in the winter (it started out on a '10 2500) and a OE tonneau cover in the summer.

It has a sliding window, which allows transporting longer stuff, if your pickup also has one. The very useful tool box on the left, window on the right side.

I had a hoist setup for another top in the past, but these days I use pallet forks with extensions and the tractor. It's quick and easy.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Your truck bed has the ability towards front and rear to drop in a framing lumber. I find a 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 works better than a 2 x 4. They work great to keep smaller things in most boxes or milk crates from sliding around. A broom stick with a hookeye screwed in one end can save a lot of crawling into the bed to retrieve something. I rarely take my cap off - things that high are usually better hauled laying down.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
On mine, they had to put a cap over the end of the tailgate in order for the cap's lift window to seal. Otherwise, it's gonna get wet in there.

It still isn't a perfect seal but it's good enough. About the only time it gets any water in it is when I run it through the car wash and even then, it's not enough to get excited about.

Direct Sun can make the tailgate cap warp/expand due to heat and make you scratch your head when you go to close the cap's lift up window. Just smack it with your hand.

I like ARE but I've had better luck with Leer. A lot of people feel the same way. Some don't.

When the Body Shop had to remove the cap because some low-life keyed the whole side of my truck, they didn't put it back quite perfectly. I could fix it but it's not worth the trouble. Nobody can tell but me. It sits back about an 1/8" too far on the driver's side. Not sure I care.

BTW, the Cops just simply weren't interested in chasing the guy down even though we had an eye-witness willing to testify and knew who he was. So an acquaintance (a friend of friend) called the Chief of Detectives, who was a personal friend of his, and they took statements and tried to get the State Attorney on him.

He left town.

So, you have a beer after a ten hour workday to calm down and you're a threat to society, but a low-life scumbag can maliciously do $2,500 worth of property damage for no reason, with no provocation, and the Cops just simply aren't interested unless you know somebody.

There's no money in arresting and jailing actual criminals.

Can't have that.

Hard-working, tax-paying citizens? We're the ones under assault by you-know-who (the 'DS')

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had an ARE Z Series on our 04 and would have installed the same on my 14 but our camper is now a 5th wheel so went flip up tonneau this time which works well with our 5th wheel. Pro's and Con's to each but prefered my cap and how the truck looked with it installed although nice being able to keep things out of site under the tonneau as well. We had big intentions of using the cap to tote the dogs around when going to the river but it was typically too hot and they ended up in the back seat.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
On mine, they had to put a cap over the end of the tailgate in order for the cap's lift window to seal. Otherwise, it's gonna get wet in there.

It still isn't a perfect seal but it's good enough. About the only time it gets any water in it is when I run it through the car wash and even then, it's not enough to get excited about.

Direct Sun can make the tailgate cap warp/expand due to heat and make you scratch your head when you go to close the cap's lift up window. Just smack it with your hand.

I like ARE but I've had better luck with Leer. A lot of people feel the same way. Some don't.

When the Body Shop had to remove the cap because some low-life keyed the whole side of my truck, they didn't put it back quite perfectly. I could fix it but it's not worth the trouble. Nobody can tell but me. It sits back about an 1/8" too far on the driver's side. Not sure I care.

BTW, the Cops just simply weren't interested in chasing the guy down even though we had an eye-witness willing to testify and knew who he was. So an acquaintance (a friend of friend) called the Chief of Detectives, who was a personal friend of his, and they took statements and tried to get the State Attorney on him.

He left town.

So, you have a beer after a ten hour workday to calm down and you're a threat to society, but a low-life scumbag can maliciously do $2,500 worth of property damage for no reason, with no provocation, and the Cops just simply aren't interested unless you know somebody.

There's no money in arresting and jailing actual criminals.

Can't have that.

Hard-working, tax-paying citizens? We're the ones under assault by you-know-who (the 'DS')
This one is an ARE. My last two trucks were Leer, but they told me they didn't have one that fit this one correctly at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Snugtop has proven itself time and time again off-road. The ram box flexes enough to drop the tail gate destroying many shells. Snugtop is strong enough to strengthen the tail gate opening. Bed supports are a good idea with any shell if your traveling off-road.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ordered and installed an ARE cap on in 2011. The "Windoors" are very handy for getting stuff out of the truck bed but these leak a lot and need to be resealed. The cap also has a folding front window so the window can be cleaned. If you think there is a need for roof racks in your future have them installed from the factory. This cap has the Yakima rack system. The roof racks are designed to haul more weight when installed when the fiberglass cap is being manufactured. If added at a later date the roof racks do not hold as much weight.
The inside is carpeted and gives it a nice finished look. There is also a coat hanger rack that folds out from the ceiling and is used for hunting/camping clothes that get wet.
Very important - Get LED lights for inside the cap. They were not available when I ordered my cap in 2011 so I added them later. I put a switch for the lights and a 12v power port at the left rear of the bed. Also I tied the cap lights in with the cargo light so it the cap lights come on when the doors are unlocked or can be switched on with the cargo light switch.
3rd brake light - near the rear of the truck there should be a wire stubbed out of the wire loom for the 3rd brake light. Don't let the installers just tap into the taillight wire or you will have a blinking 3rd brake light.
I scoff at those who think truck caps are for old guys. I have had truck caps for the past 25 years and I am 51 years old. I think of my truck as an extremely capable SUV with a diesel engine. I do use the truck bed for hauling but most often I just grab a utility trailer for hauling because it is easier to work out of and there is much less chance of scratching up the side of the truck. Utility trailers are cheap compared trucks.
I also have a tool box in the truck that is easily accessed via the "windoor". If I were ordering again I would have a tool box installed on the left side instead of the window.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 52 Posts