Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I've been thinking of getting a cap for my truck for some time now.

I think mainly using it during the winter but with a kid, dog and lots of hobbies it would be nice to have the extra space to throw things in the bed and keep the elements out and keep things secure.

I like my tonneau cover I have but I can see use for all three setups, open bed, tonneau cover, and cap.

And no I'm not an old man. Lol

Pros and cons?

Recommendations on brands?

Pics and experience with you cap?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sure miss having one sometimes... ARE on the old 2014, good quality and kept the bed dry. If I recall correctly around it was around $1700 in 2015

Attachments

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I have had a Snug Top since new. No issues and really like it. makes trips much easier. I think I paid about 2700.

Reactions: dedduck

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a good cap for your truck, comes with a delivery job! :D

Idk why I can't see your pics!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure miss having one sometimes... ARE on the old 2014, good quality and kept the bed dry. If I recall correctly around it was around $1700 in 2015
Thanks for the pics! Definitely helps. I was looking at ARE and about $1500-1800 is the going rate it seems.

Biggest thing holding me back is where am I going to store when I take it off. I was thinking about some hoist for my garage ceiling or something but that is TBD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a Century cap on a 98 1500 and a Leer cap on the 04 3500. The Century had much better fit and finish than the Leer. Both were purchased new when the trucks were purchased. Not sure if the quality is still the same.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have the ARE, paid the extra to have the sides and roof carpeted, the vent windows that open out and the back that has no visible hinges, plus the fold down front sliding window. The vent windows that open out instead of sliding help pull air through the cap from the air conditioned cab for the dogs. We also put one of those inflatable doughnuts between the cab and cap and put a fan in the cap side. Just fabed some hooks so it hangs from the window frame so the cap area stays nice and cool for the dogs. Works great for long trips. This fan is quiet and fits perfect "endless breeze RV fan".

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the ARE, paid the extra to have the sides and roof carpeted, the vent windows that open out and the back that has no visible hinges, plus the fold down front sliding window. The vent windows that open out instead of sliding help pull air through the cap from the air conditioned cab for the dogs. We also put one of those inflatable doughnuts between the cab and cap and put a fan in the cap side. Just fabed some hooks so it hangs from the window frame so the cap area stays nice and cool for the dogs. Works great for long trips. This fan is quiet and fits perfect "endless breeze RV fan".

Great idea!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mine is a Century.
The liftup side windows are fantastic, driver has good visibility through to the passenger side lane, and easy access to the front insides, important for an 8' bed. I have bins installed over the wheel wells up to the front so I can reach in and grab my tools.
Has the runners for roof racks so can carry kayaks, ladders or whatever up there. Upto 300# I think.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the opinion on a backup camera with a cap?

I don't have one on my truck but I feel like it will be more difficult to see, I assume I should get one?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
What is the opinion on a backup camera with a cap?

I don't have one on my truck but I feel like it will be more difficult to see, I assume I should get one?

Your truck doesn't have a backup camera in the tailgate???

I thought all of them had that, even tradesman models.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have an ARE on mine, hinged front and side windows make cleaning and reaching things in the front of the bed easy.
Keeps things dry, clean and safe from thieves. Great camping gear storage area when I'm pulling the travel trailer
And yup, I'm an old man.

Reactions: dedduck

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your truck doesn't have a backup camera in the tailgate???

I thought all of them had that, even tradesman models.
Not mine apparently lol I have tradesman. The OEM backup camera is expensive too. Womp.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Like the title says, I've been thinking of getting a cap for my truck for some time now.

I think mainly using it during the winter but with a kid, dog and lots of hobbies it would be nice to have the extra space to throw things in the bed and keep the elements out and keep things secure.

I like my tonneau cover I have but I can see use for all three setups, open bed, tonneau cover, and cap.

And no I'm not an old man. Lol

Pros and cons?

Recommendations on brands?

Pics and experience with you cap?

I've got a cap. Wouldn't have a pickup without one. Had one on every pickup I've had since 1982.

For those that can't have one...... That's different than won't have one.

I have a Leer. I think it's the 2nd one up. Not a high end but pretty decent.

My bed is now a storage and access area for tools, chairs, four or five different ball mounts (6" drop to 2" drop plus an adjustable one that weighs about 5,000lbs :) )) and can also serve as a bed in a pinch.

I can also, and do, put excess luggage in it when I go on a long road trip, I can put sand and gravel and cement bags and keep it out of the rain, I can lock the cap and the tailgate to keep street urchins out of it.......

I wouldn't have a pickup with out it. Unless it was not possible. Some people tow 5th wheels, some people use it on a farm all the time, some people just can't use one.

But unless you're one of those, there's just no point in not having one.

Unless you (not you personally, 'you' generically) think it looks uncool. In which case, you shouldn't be driving a truck anyway.

Might I recommend, maybe a Mazda Miata?

Now that's 'cool' :blues:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Oh yeah, if you get one, get it with the pop-out window in the front so you can, 1) Use your beer window and 2) Clean the rear window of your truck when needed.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got a cap. Wouldn't have a pickup without one. Had one on every pickup I've had since 1982.

For those that can't have one...... That's different than won't have one.

I have a Leer. I think it's the 2nd one up. Not a high end but pretty decent.

My bed is now a storage and access area for tools, chairs, four or five different ball mounts (6" drop to 2" drop plus an adjustable one that weighs about 5,000lbs :) )) and can also serve as a bed in a pinch.

I can also, and do, put excess luggage in it when I go on a long road trip, I can put sand and gravel and cement bags and keep it out of the rain, I can lock the cap and the tailgate to keep street urchins out of it.......

I wouldn't have a pickup with out it. Unless it was not possible. Some people tow 5th wheels, some people use it on a farm all the time, some people just can't use one.

But unless you're one of those, there's just no point in not having one.

Unless you (not you personally, 'you' generically) think it looks uncool. In which case, you shouldn't be driving a truck anyway.

Might I recommend, maybe a Mazda Miata?

Now that's 'cool' :blues:
Lmao thanks for the input. I like the way they look and love the idea of the extra storage.

I don't like the idea of storage of the cap itself when I take it off. I need an open bed from time to time and don't mine taking it on and off. But want to be able to do it myself and need a spot to put it out of the way.

Thinking of doing some type of ceiling hoist.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts