Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking for a 5.9, but they're getting expensive and hard to find. A dealer told me about some upgrades that have been made to the 6.7 that alleviate the issues and make it equal to the 5.9. Ive been a powerstroke man up until now and have been converted, but I dont know about this. Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most of the problems where caused by the earlier flash version. A truck running the newest flash shouldn't have any more problems than any other truck new vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So, was the dealer telling me the truth? If I buy an '07 6.7, with the new flash it'l perform like a 5.9? Everyone I know with a 6.7 says it has less power,gets MUCH less MPG, and it stays in the shop. They all wish they had held onto their 5.9, so that's what Im looking for. But the dealers are practically giving away the 07's, so if just a few updates from the dealership will fix those problems, then Im game.

·
Second Most Important Member
1,747 Posts
once you delete all the epa crap it will spank a 5.9!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
There was a run of problems at first, but they've been cleared up. It won't get as good mpg stock, but it will rival any 5.9 CR once you delete the emissions. As far as power, it defenitley has more power than any 5.9, stock vs stock. Mine when it was bone stock, would smoke my dad's 04.5 5.9 with the 48RE trans. The new auto trans is light years ahead of the old 48RE, six speeds and the new tow/haul mode is awesome.

·
Registered
107 Posts
mines all stock 10,000 miles, road trip milage (2 lane with towns) now up to 16.4 . test drive both then decide.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
So, was the dealer telling me the truth? If I buy an '07 6.7, with the new flash it'l perform like a 5.9? Everyone I know with a 6.7 says it has less power,gets MUCH less MPG, and it stays in the shop. They all wish they had held onto their 5.9, so that's what Im looking for. But the dealers are practically giving away the 07's, so if just a few updates from the dealership will fix those problems, then Im game.
:BS:my 6.7s beat my old 5.9s hands down.

·
1,747 Posts
well, you would need to delete the egr, the dpf, and run a tuner to keep the computer happy. if you do the work yourself the parts are around 1000.00. you will justify it with better mileage and keeping your truck out of the dealer for the multitude of problems the aformentioned parts cause. plus way more power. and yes it is for offroad use only, but unless your state checks emmisions your fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive test driven both and Im definately liking the 5.9 better, and they dont seem to stay in the shop. Most 5.9 owners I know get around 22 mpg on the highway, and around 15 in town. Hell, I can get 20 mpg on the highway in my sluggish-assed powerstroke.
Unless it's not a big deal to get the emissions crap deleted, I think Im sticking with my original plan.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i have a 07.5 6.7 and the only problem i had was when i bought the truck new( in 07 ) the dpf cracked and the exhaust system had to be cleaned out . that was all with the early flashes . since then , with the latest flashes , i have had 0 problems . i had two other 5.9 trucks and this one would give either one of them a spanking . not to mention the much improved transmissions and the exhaust brake . as far as the fuel mileage goes : people always compare the 6.7 to a 5.9 but which 5.9 ? if you compare my 6.7 with the '96 5.9 i had , hands down the '96 got much better fuel mileage but , it only had 185 HP . if i compare my 6.7 to the '04 i had on mpg , there is not much difference but , they are more equal in HP .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, you would need to delete the egr, the dpf, and run a tuner to keep the computer happy. if you do the work yourself the parts are around 1000.00. you will justify it with better mileage and keeping your truck out of the dealer for the multitude of problems the aformentioned parts cause. plus way more power. and yes it is for offroad use only, but unless your state checks emmisions your fine.
Im in Texas, they check for emissions, and unless I can get a 6.7 for 20K or less(with less than 50K miles), then 1,000 plus service(I have no free time) is too much to spend ontop of the truck price. Thanks. I'll be going with the 5.9.

·
1,747 Posts
even if both the 5.9 and the 6.7 were stock the 6.7 will outpreform the 5.9. i was in your shoes almost two years ago and i bought the 6.7. ive had a couple issues but no way would i go back to a 5.9...................ever!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im looking for an '05 or '06. Those seem to be the models people are most happy with. I dont have 2,000 extra dollars to spend on updates and deletions and in Texas they check for emissions. But, that poor MPG, poor HP, and always in the shop crap is why Im finally giving up the Powerstroke. I sure's hell dont wanna go back to it.
This will be a daily driver, mostly in town, and some hwy driving on the weekends, with some heavy towing 5-10 times a year.

·
1,747 Posts
i do hope you find a good truck. look hard and take your time. now is a good time to be buying............. anything, if you can afford it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Problem is, everyone wants the 5.9's, so they're not budging on the price and they're hard to find. Practically giving away the 6.7's, so when I heard about the updates and such I decided to look into it. Doesn't sound like such a great deal. If I can't get better MPG than my stoke, and keep it outta the shop for more than 30K miles, then piss on it. I'll go with the sure thing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Im in Texas, they check for emissions, and unless I can get a 6.7 for 20K or less(with less than 50K miles), then 1,000 plus service(I have no free time) is too much to spend ontop of the truck price. Thanks. I'll be going with the 5.9.
Where do you get your info? We do not check for diesel emissions here in Texas.:confused013:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts