Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd done a few hours of research on here and see that it is well established that the engines are good for atleast 350k miles. I have very few questions about that. It looks like the auto trans is done after about 150k miles depending on use and there are a few fuel system parts that are big dollar parts that will need to be replaced.

I drive about 50-60k per year as a sales rep in the construction industry. I dont 100% need a 3/4 ton truck but it would come in handy once in a while. I could even get away with a Ranger if I wanted to. Most of my miles are easy highway driving, back country roads and a muddy road 2-4 times a day. For the most part I am shopping Cummins for the mpg, long life and resale value. My plan is to find a truck with about 40-50k used and driving it until the wheels fall off hopefully after 300k miles.

For those of you with 100k plus on your rigs, what has maintenance on the trucks been like? I've driven 3 gas 1/2 tons up to the 150-180k range where they die and for the most part the 1/2 tons dont need a lot of help to get there. One needed a head gasket, one needed an water pump...small stuff and the suspensions lasted.

How fast do these trucks run through parts like ball joints? Rear ends? steering racks? engine accesories?

I've mainly heard that the 4spd auto on the 5.9 dies around 150k. Is the newer automatic on the 6.7 any better? Its next to impossible to find manual trucks where I am.

· Registered
6,673 Posts
You sound like a duratrash driver or a power Joke driver? you shouldn't have any problem's I don't know where you got the 350 K mark theses truck's last alot longer then that

· Registered
2,312 Posts
well you will get better fuel milage then a ranger... last alot longer, rangers aren't bad but a 2500 is 4 times the truck...
as for the wheels falling off, one of mine already has, literally. But thats cause I went to Les Schwab... Long story.
If your thinking about a dodge then test drive a few, to say it simply they have just as many drive train issues as any other 3/4ton diesel.. but the motor is alot better when you just look at the basic design of a inline motor.
Quality of the over all truck has inproved also. I drive about 40-50k and I haven't had one issue with my truck or something break due to poor quality.. now hard driving and worked is a different subject...
I don't think you would be dissapointed if you were to purchase one

· Registered
7 Posts
i have just hit 150,000 in my truck and havent had any problems i have owned it from 100,000 miles i do a little towing but mostly intown 70% and highway 30% of the time and i dont forsee any problems if you just take it easy on things they will last forever good luck with your cummins :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.