Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have an issue. I had my probe in a bad spot in my manifold. Thought it was ok for the last YEAR. Finally got around to changing it. Man his thing had to be getting hot. im seeing 1300* if i rapidly accel to 75! I i make WOT runs all the time up to 100. Makes me cringe just thinking about how hot it really got (i was only seeing 1200* before i fixed the probe). And i have 4:11`s!? I run the extreme tune on my trinity. And this is all with the propane off, before you ask. What is the fastest/easiest/most accurate way to check for a boost leak??

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
It's pretty easy. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a PVC cap that has the same OD as your turbo inlet. Drill a hole in the end of the cap and thread an air chuck into it (you don't need to tap it, it will self thread). Next pull your air filter tubing off and use the same boot to replace it with the cap. Use a regulated air source to slowly increase the pressure and you will be able to hear any major leaks. You can find smaller leaks by spraying soapy water around. BE CAREFUL because those caps like to blow off. I usually brace mine against the oil filter housing with something I find that can take up the space to keep it from moving. If you have any leaks between the turbo and the intake manifold, you'll find it easily. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Haha cwarta u and that truck cause me head aches and also ideas that my wife wants nothing to do with,ie the propane :rof. I had a boost leak today blew a boot off the intercooler just crusing guess the clamp is worn out. Easiest way is look at ur gauge. What's it say now compared to what it use to say. Even with the boost mostly off I could make 20psi but couldn't hold it for chit. So try that can you make and hold 20 psi and id u can at what rpms? I knew I had an issue when I was at 1500 rpm and the gauge said flat 0. I did some tests just to see and you can build it but its deffinatly not right to only get 23psi at 3200 rpm. What makes it way more fun in these trucks is that they are fueled according to boost pressure so if ur still making boost it will fuel to that and not just black out the sun cause its fueling to the rpms like the good old days. Quick easy is tighten everything up and make sure ya have an aluminum tanked intercooler. Ya should but who knows if it got changed or something before you bought it. If its all tight them let's hear some numbers our set up is close enough I know what ya should be at when so what psi at what rpm im what gear numbers.

Or do what vanilla said. I've had no luck finding one tho. But all we got close by is an ace and they hardly have screwdrivers. Ill have to go to home depot or something when I get to a bigger town.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i hit 32psi, then it backs down to like 25? I just think the egts seem way out here.

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
1300 is about normal for the 03-04 truck. the 04.5 -07 trucks run around 1400 at wot. if your still running the he341 then 23psi is about right. now if you add the boost elbow you can turn it up to 30-35psi and be good.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, im saying 1300* just accellerating up to interstate speeds. At *** ill see 1500+. This should not be happening with thejust the extreme tune should it?? i have a boost elbow already.

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
With my triple dog on extreme I see 1500 so I will say yes that's normal for the fueling your giving it. But with a manual if your lugging it through the gears egts will be higher. Have you tried different settings to see what your egts are? Can you select stock power without removing the tune? Running it stock form will give you a good baseline to go off of.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not lugging it, thats for sure. Im pretty convinced something is wrong somewere. Maybe im jyst being paranoid

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
Well nothing wrong with doing some investigating. Have a look let us know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.