Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you guys tell me about the 05's? This one's got about 70k on it, auto, Edge Chip (not sure which one)K/N air intake, SRT-10 scoop hood, chrome accents (door handles, gas cap, tailgate handle), Linex bed liner, B/W hidden ball gooseneck hitch, wheel well liners, window tinting, magnaflow exhaust, Toyo 285's, chrome tube running boards. It had the turbo replaced at 40k, he doesn't know what was wrong with it.

Is there anything I should be conderned about? Or make sure I look at before I buy it? What is a fair price for both of us? Is 20k too low for me to offer him? He said it books at $24,400 stock. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
The 05s are a good year they are the 325/610 motors. They are also the first year of the pusher in tank lift pump which is MUCH more reliable then the block mounted pumps on the 03-04.5 Some have the plastic ended intercoolers, which are not fans of boost over 45psi. Your warranty maybe compromised since it has the edge box, whichever one it is. Ball joints have short lift spans on these trucks.

·
Skrew- EPA CARB OPEC PETA
1,577 Posts
sounds like a good price to me!

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
according to the thread about selling a 03 for 24K you might be insulting this guy at 20. But if you can pull it off you will be getting a very good model year truck. If things are as tight down there in the states as the media says, there will probably be some good deal to be had if you have the cash.

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
460 Posts
My buddy has an 05 and he loves it. He did have a bit of an injector problem at one time, but odds are with that kind of mileage, it has already been addressed. Many of the 04.5 and 05's had some kind of u-joint issue every 30k-35k where the rear axle connects to the drive shaft, but I would bet money that if the previous owner had that problem, they were replaced with either ones with grease zerks or heavier duty ones. Other then that, I'd try for the 20k and see where they go from there. They're not giving much for them as a trade in anyway, so why not low ball them on it and make em sweat it out? Pack a lunch, could be a long day, but in the end...a great price.

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of tranny is in it? Is it a 4 or 5 speed? Will it hold up to quite a bit of pulling trailers of 5k+? The current owner pulls a 4 place horse trailer and I'll be hauling a 24' stock trailer.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
What kind of tranny is in it? Is it a 4 or 5 speed? Will it hold up to quite a bit of pulling trailers of 5k+? The current owner pulls a 4 place horse trailer and I'll be hauling a 24' stock trailer.
05s for autos have the 48re 4 speed auto. Honest not that bad of a trans, mine has stood up to my stack for about 16,000 miles just fine.

For manuals you usually get the nv5600, a beast of a six-speed transmission...I think some got the g56 6 speed.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,632 Posts
i have the 04.5 with the nv5600. 20k is a good price.
i paid 21k out the door for mine with 114k miles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pay your mechanic to inspect it before you buy it. Best money I ever spent. I knew exactly what detectable issues were there and also used them as bargaining coin with the seller.

I looove my '05.

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of milage can i expect? Will the edge chip help my milage? If it will, by how much?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts