Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Thinking about adding a Muffler for better sound- Aero-Turbine 5050

6136 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  07rattle
Just like the title says. I want a muffler to give me a deeper sound. I know some people would think that my 5"tbe to an 8" stack would be loud enough but it is pretty quiet until I get on it. I'm looking at the Aero-Turbine 5050L since it is 5" in and out.

Will that muffler give me a little deeper sound that I'm lookin for?

Will it restrict very much?

My truck roals some good coal when I get it in so will the soot clog the muffler up at all or will the smoke still flow through it pretty freely?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,027 Posts
I had the 4040 on my 04. It sounded hella good. Nice deep throaty tone. I did not have the resonator. I think the 5050 has the resonator and if so, it will be a little quieter. I don't think there was an option without the resonator for the 5050. Could be wrong though. Oh and as far as restriction goes, if you run a straight pipe, then yes it could give a little restriction but when I put the 4040 on my truck it improved my MPG. I never drove with a straight pipe.

As for clogging, I doubt it would clog the muffler. I have not heard anyone claim thier mufflers clogged because of soot but thats not to say it doesn't happen. I just don't know and wouldn't think so.

· Registered
954 Posts
The AeroTurbine mufflers seems to work great with getting that deeper exhaust note people like. Its not going to make the truck louder, but it will give it a deeper note for sure. I would think that it would be fine with soot also. Its not restrictive like a DPF or Cat, so anytime you hammer it, its going to blow a good bit of what gets caught in there out.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
a muffler isn't going to give you a deeper sound :confused:

Sorry but you are wrong. That is exactly what a muffler can do. I have the Aereturbine 4040XL and it sounds great. It lowered the tone to the point where people ask me what I have done because it doesn't sound like a diesel. At idle it sounds like a Harley.:thumbsup:

· Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The AeroTurbine mufflers seems to work great with getting that deeper exhaust note people like. Its not going to make the truck louder, but it will give it a deeper note for sure. I would think that it would be fine with soot also. Its not restrictive like a DPF or Cat, so anytime you hammer it, its going to blow a good bit of what gets caught in there out.
Thanks jeff.

My 5" TBE is actually from you guys :thumbsup:

I just cut it before the bed to make my stack kit fit and I told 4 of my friends I got my TBE from yall and how good of a deal it was and they all have 4" and 5" kits from yall now.

· Premium Member
1,251 Posts
If he has removed all of the restrictions and adds an aero to his exhaust, it should have the same effect be it on a 5.9 or a 6.7. They are, for all intensive purposes, the same engine.
As far as the engine goes you are totally right. but the big difference on his truck compared to you r04 is the VGT turbo and completely different displacement in the cylinders. Resulting in a different exhaust note. The main reason his truck will remain quiet is the VGT turbo, it's the best mechanical muffler ever made, lol.

Please don't take this as an argument. Just wanted to mention the turbo. I went through this exact scenario with a customer and the only way he got the sound he wanted was to switch to a non VGT turbo and since he wanted the exhaust brake we installed a PAC Brake remote inline unit. After that he was tickled pink. Kinda spendy just to make it sound good though:confused013::confused013:

Reactions: Hondarebel537

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Please don't take this as an argument. Just wanted to mention the turbo.
No worries and you may be right considering the turbo. I have no idea since I have yet to even delete my DPF. But just above is someone running a 6.7 that claims exactly what I was claiming for my 04. Don't know if he has the stock turbo or not. Still, even if the VGT is muffling the truck, it is a well known fact that people have claimed a considerably louder truck when they do the deletes and run straight pipe. So there is sound coming out of that pipe and a muffler will alter that sound.

· Premium Member
1,251 Posts
No worries and you may be right considering the turbo. I have no idea since I have yet to even delete my DPF. But just above is someone running a 6.7 that claims exactly what I was claiming for my 04. Don't know if he has the stock turbo or not. Still, even if the VGT is muffling the truck, it is a well known fact that people have claimed a considerably louder truck when they do the deletes and run straight pipe. So there is sound coming out of that pipe and a muffler will alter that sound.
Absolutely, i agree. those DPF's are horrible. I would say from experience that deleting them makes the exhaust sound about 80% more noticeable. I can't believe how quiet they are in stock form. But for me, after years of driving an 03 with 5" straight pipes, i think i would welcome a nice quiet drive down the freeway:D

· Registered
502 Posts
When I bought my 5" flo-pro it came with a muffler. I ran it like that for a while then took the muffler out and put in a straight pipe. Definitly louder with the straight pipe at idle and WOT. More drowne too but I like the noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.