Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It could just be the gauge too, but I dont know. When I start her up the VAC pressure is at about 11 and when Im driving, my boost isnt reading any higher than 12lbs...Is this normal for the turbo to show low boost like this??

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, I posted this one LATE last night and I missed out a bit of information. First off, I've got the FAZE Boost/Vacuum gauge...It's tapped into the top of the intake horn right above the toaster, and it doesnt sound like there is a boost leak, but I'm still not sure...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Is that 11 inches of mercurey (HG) or water (H2O)? Either way it seems like alot, check all you're intercooler piping/connections, Is you're airfilter plugged? If nothing else, try a boost gauge out of a buddy's truck, and see if youre 12psi changes. but 12 psi is definatly low boost.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Can you decsribe how you are driving when you have 12 pounds of boost? On a gen 2, I'd say you would see 12 pounds of boost if you pulled out to pass someone and went to half throttle. Boost follows fuel, so unless you have a load on the engine, you won't see much boost. At $4.00 plus a gallon, the less boost you see the less $$$$..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I see it up around 12 pounds, I've usually got it floored while gettin up to speed...If I'm running on Cruise, The gauge reads vacuum pressure (HG) at 0-6, And then when I've got it cruzin' at 75, The boost gauge is just BARELY pushing 5-6 LBS of boost...

I'm wondering if because the V5 I've got in there doesnt have a tuneable knob on it, that it's turned my truck down low... IF it's the Gauge, then I'll send it back to Autozone and Replace it...

I'm almost wondering if I've got a boot or something on the tubes from the turbo that has a hole in it, The Airfilter isnt clogged at all (took it all off yesterday and it was clean as a bell (still cleaned it out again though) all the bolts on the Turbo look good, It has minimal wobble from side to side and up and down, It still works just fine, takes a bit to engage, like it doesnt just kick on once I've stepped on the juice (typical though)...

Minorly Confusing this one is....

·
Registered
435 Posts
So, why did you install a boost/vacuum gauge rather than just a boost pressure gauge?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Long Day, Bought the first Boost gauge I came across...Just one of those moves I made without really looking at what I picked up LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Might seem like an odd idea but; Disconnect the line leading to your boost gage and then drive for a bit with the lights on (gage line plugged unless). If it drops to a vacuum then you know your gage is screwed.

Although the boost gage has nothing to do with 12v other than the light, a short could cause the expansion tubing in the gage to go nuts and give negative readings.

Hope this helps,
Dave

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Shoot!

On a stock Dodge Cummins you should be able to hit 19-20 PSI worth of boost.

With a Edge Comp I can just about bury my 35 Boost gauge to the MAX Pin...

So either the gauge is trash, boost leak, or a wastegate stuck open...:w:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts