Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pickup is a reg cab, 5spd, 92 or 93 can't remember.
Wut do i need to watch for during the test drive and how do i check for killer dowl pin.

·
Registered
896 Posts
These truck are pretty straight forward. If it runs and drives good, and shifts fine you should have nothing to worry about. The getrags (5spd) can be a little stiff to shift, but as long as there is no grinding it should be ok. On the killer dowel pin there isn't really anyway to tell without pulling the timing cover off. I tabbed mine and the kit I used came with gray silicone that you can see around the front of the cover. If the timing cover has gray silicone coming out around it, it may have been done. These old trucks really are a lot of fun, if it's stock the test drive will be kinda boring, but making decent power with these old trucks is pretty simple.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Poncate

The 'Killer Dowel Pin', or KDP is an index pin that resides behind your timing cover. It's a press fit pin into the block that can wiggle out of it's hole over time and it can just fall to the bottom of your timing cover and just sit there....or....it can fall into your cam gear/pump gears/crank gears and cause all sorts of havoc with your motor. To fix the KDP there are various ways of tabbing it in place to prevent the possibility of damage. The only way to know if it's been fixed is to pull the cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts