Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am currently a 6.0 powerstroke owner and although it has been a decent truck I am looking to change. I am really interested in purchasing an 03-06 Dodge 3500 or 2500. I am really excited about tuning a 5.9 cummins. I feel the potential of the motor is absolutely amazing.

I just would like to know what things to look out for when looking at a used 5.9. I didn't do this with my 6.0 powerstroke and needless to say 1 1/2 years after purchase I think I finally have the bugs ironed out I am fairly mechanically inclined and am not afraid to try anything. Also I have no emissions laws where I live so anything emissions related will be removed.

How easy is the truck to repair and modify?
How much horsepower and the stock headgaskets handle? How easy are the headgaskets to change?
How are the transmissions?
How are the torque converters?
Are the injectors easy to repair or remove?
What should I be looking for in front end issues? What is the cost of front end repairs as well?

I think that is all. Thank you all for answering my questions. It is greatly appreciated. I look forward to hopefully becoming a full time member in your community very soon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Congrats on your switch! The cummins is really easy to work on and get to compared to the Ford 6.0 which is really hard to get to anything. As far as the gasket sets on here everyone will have their own opinion but the stock gaskets like head gasket will hold at least 600 HP. As far as the transmissions go the automatics will need upgrading so go with an aftermarket company. I have a gorend tranny and it has held up pretty good with lots of power and towing. The manual transmissions will need very few upgrades. The torque converters just go aftermarket and the injectors are simple to remove and replace with the right tools but very easy. The front end needs upgrading! Just about everyone has had a death wobble on those years. I have an 03 and went with the 08 front end upgrade and dynatrac ball joints which I am really pleased with and got rid of my death wobble completely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.