Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Which is more fun?

• Purchase a truck exactly the way you want it.

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Build a truck exactly the way you want it.

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Leave it as is. If it didn’t come equipped with that feature then leave it alone!

Votes: 1 2.4%
301 - 320 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
No sir. If I remove egr cooler my exhaust is going to be loud. Right now, running the 5” with a muffler is about a hair louder than stock. There’s the deep low rumble at idle but inside the cab she’s literally as quiet as stock. I can’t hear anything. I plan on keeping it that way. 👍🏻

·
Registered
222 Posts
No sir. If I remove egr cooler my exhaust is going to be loud. Right now, running the 5” with a muffler is about a hair louder than stock. There’s the deep low rumble at idle but inside the cab she’s literally as quiet as stock. I can’t hear anything. I plan on keeping it that way. 👍🏻
What system is it and did it come with the muffler as an option or you picked your own separately?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Surprisingly my truck is quieter with the egr removed and 4 inch ss than it was with it installed and 4 inch alum. Both with mufflers

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
This isn’t the place for that.

but whoever bought that truck new is probably making money on the deal. If only we know how things would have been in 2020, I would have gotten a truck like that for like $47k out the door back then.

just for example, in 2016 I bought that exact same truck, same age (2.5 years old) with 41k on it, but I only paid $31,400. Seems almost free now

Reactions: nick00less

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Not with about $10k worth of upgrades..... sorry

Nicks thread isn’t the place for this discussion. All I’m saying is that, although it’s probably worth the money, because 2020 sent truck prices sky high, I was shopping for one 2 years ago, and that’s what I would have paid for a tradesman then.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
What system is it and did it come with the muffler as an option or you picked your own separately?
sending PM

Surprisingly my truck is quieter with the egr removed and 4 inch ss than it was with it installed and 4 inch alum. Both with mufflers
🤔

interesting... but the cooler acts as an additional chamber to muffle/decrease DB. This is the first Ive heard where it’s quieter without.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No sir. If I remove egr cooler my exhaust is going to be loud. Right now, running the 5” with a muffler is about a hair louder than stock. There’s the deep low rumble at idle but inside the cab she’s literally as quiet as stock. I can’t hear anything. I plan on keeping it that way.
It was my understanding that recirculating the exhaust gas back into the intake system was part of the reason why Diesel oil was also so black. And that if you did a delete and block off, it would prevent soot from getting into the oil, keep the oil looking cleaner, and remove the contaminates from the oil that came from the egr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Sorry, Nick, your thread are just much cooler than mine. I created the free-for-all, but people just gravitate towards you!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Looking good Nick - how is the fitment of those mirror signals? I would like to do mine as a subtle touch - I have only found the Ebay ones ( DBMotor brand?) but will look into the Boost auto parts lenses

I'm sitting here with my popcorn but I'm glad to hear you like the muffler only setup - as you know I'm curious to see if you need to install a small resonator at all to kill any cab noise - but from your first impressions I assume you are happy?

My buddy has a 4" downpipe-back with muffler and also says no cab drone whatsoever.

EDIT: Just found them - the "new version" you installed stick out a bit from the mirror - I like them flush to the housing so I just ordered the stock style which is just smoked - subtle changes

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Looking good Nick - how is the fitment of those mirror signals? I would like to do mine as a subtle touch - I have only found the Ebay ones ( DBMotor brand?) but will look into the Boost auto parts lenses

I'm sitting here with my popcorn but I'm glad to hear you like the muffler only setup - as you know I'm curious to see if you need to install a small resonator at all to kill any cab noise - but from your first impressions I assume you are happy?

My buddy has a 4" downpipe-back with muffler and also says no cab drone whatsoever.

EDIT: Just found them - the "new version" you installed stick out a bit from the mirror - I like them flush to the housing so I just ordered the stock style which is just smoked - subtle changes
my buddy loves those mirror signals. The fitment is perfect. Looks like they were meant to go there.

I’m going to leave my system as is. Thankfully I don’t need a resonator. She’s quiet. On a scale of 1-5, 5 being loud/drone and 1 being factory oem quiet, it’s barely a 2.

Ahh I see what you mean. I guess I never noticed they stuck out. The black color gives the illusion that there’s no angles, until I look closer and realize they do stick out, a skosh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Build is looking great! @nick00less

Love the switchback mirror lights from boost, how easy/difficult were they to install? Were they just plug and play?

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Thanks, chief! Those switchbacks were literally plug n play. However you first need to pop out the convex mirror to access a single T-15 screw.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks, chief! Those switchbacks were literally plug n play. However you first need to pop out the convex mirror to access a single T-15 screw.
Sweet, ordering right now! Love the tread, keep it coming!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good to hear on your exhaust! I'm going to ride in my buddies 2013 - he has 4" downpipe-back FloPro with their muffler - that should give me an idea of what the FP muffler does, by itself - I guess our theory should work well, either do just the 30" FTE, or the FP muffler by itself and maybe the 17" Twister/FTE for drone if you wanted to tone it down a bit more -

I'm OCD about stuff and saw the mirror signals - they look good on the newer trucks - I ordered the smoked, "flush looking" versions, because the clear signals bother me on my OEM mirrors - I would have done the full GM Boost Auto mirrors, but I need the power fold for my garage

301 - 320 of 349 Posts