Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to remove my thermostat will it cause harm to my truck..And dont need to worry about the cold i live in hawaii..

·
Registered
80 Posts
try it ive ran my jeep i had with out one for about 8 months never had any problems just keep an eye on the gauges

·
Registered
5,650 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
J/w what would you be tryin to gain from removing it?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I responded in your other thread
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/359591-thermostat.html

I mention it here as well, removing the thermo in any veh is a dumb idea, removing it for any reason masks another on going issue.

removing it in a gas power fuel injected veh,(same as diesel) causes all kinds of performance/emmission issues
Read this quote twice and then if you still want to pull the stat read it once more. If you pull the stat on a modern gas engine, it will be constantly running rich. Catalytic converters burn off some deposits running rich, some lean. Your cat will plug, your backpressure will overheat your valves (and the rest of the engine) and it will cost you an engine eventually if you don't figure it out before that and replace the Cat and stat. I've overhauled a few engines that had this EXACT thing happen.

In a diesel engine you will SUFFER for fuel efficiency. I ran a 180 degree 'stat for a while in my truck. You don't lose much in a gas engine running a cooler stat, so I thought I'd see what'd happen. It MASSACRED my fuel efficiency. I lost about 3mpg. Smashed that piece of junk with a hammer and put a 190 back in. I had speculated that keeping it cooler might prevent the fan clutch from kicking in an robbing efficiency running a powerful fan. I was wrong.

Probably can't really hurt the diesel engine running cool all the time, but there is one thing that is a little "iffy". Pistons are tapered. The top of the piston is narrower than the lower "skirt". As the pistons warm up to operating temperature, the thicker upper portion of the piston expands and the taper goes away making the piston fit perfectly (or pretty close!). If your engine never warms up the piston doesn't expand to fit the cylinder bore, and will experience more "piston slap" probably not enough to hear, but maybe enough to eventually shorten the life of your pistons slightly.

In short, it was designed to run at 190.

·
Registered
807 Posts
DO NOT DO THIS!! nuff said. Im also gunna add make sure you put antifreeze in the cooling system. i see a lot of vehicles on this island with just water:banghead:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts