Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 i am just wondering how hard it is to change the thermostat, i have changed them before but on a chev 350 just wondering if it is as easy as that was or if it is more difficult that should be done by a mechanic. I have some mechanic ability just not a full shop to do so in. Anyone with info would be great:confused013:

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Not hard to do. Was the engine over heating? When you have everything back together run it for abit without the cap. Some times air gets trapped it the system and can give you greif.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
2 bolts, under neath where the upper radiator hose comes to the engine. When it warms up, im gonna replace my upper/ lower hoses, heater hoses, thermostate, flush the cooling system, might pump a new waterpump on as there easy and cheap. WHAT I'VE HEARD, GO TO CUMINS FOR A T-STAT

·
Registered
533 Posts
its a matter of 3 bolts 8 or 10mm I think its 8mm pop them out move the neck and hose to the side pull out old thermostat and install new thermo and make sure the new gasket is on the new thermo before install.. throw the three bolts back in it and you are do..... and its a good idea to let it run for at least 5 min w the cap off after so you get all the air out of the system.... GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
533 Posts
o i forgot to add that you dont even have to take the hose off the neck you can leave it on the neck...

·
Registered
509 Posts
its a matter of 3 bolts 8 or 10mm I think its 8mm pop them out move the neck and hose to the side pull out old thermostat and install new thermo and make sure the new gasket is on the new thermo before install.. throw the three bolts back in it and you are do..... and its a good idea to let it run for at least 5 min w the cap off after so you get all the air out of the system.... GOOD LUCK
:agree2: takes probably repair and test drive afterwards (to get air out) a/b 30 min. max.... i would get up to operating temp just to be on safe side that all the air has worked it way out. keep in mine these things hold alot of coolant i believe around 7 gallons total refill, but just changing the t stat you are probably going to loose no more than 2 gallons. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It's easy, like stated above 3 8mm bolts, leave the hose on the neck. When I burp mine I leave the cap off, crank it, then watch for the level in the radiator to drop and keep topping it off until it levels off. Be sure that your reservoir is full to the fill line, so if it does work any more air out it will draw coolant out of the tank when it cools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts