Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys need to change my thermostat and if I go with a 180 deg instead of 190 deg thermostat does the system work more n is that a bad thing..
Is there a sealant cause seems to b metal to metal when I take the 3 bolts out thanks and sorry for stupid questions lol....

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
It's a machined surface so you really shouldn't need sealant. If it leaks then you may have to smear a very thin coating on the surface before putting it back on.

I run a 180 stat and have no problems. It DOES keep the truck running cooler which many members here will tell you is a bad thing and that the engine will not be efficient. I have not noticed a drop in fuel mileage and I have been running the same exact stat in 4 different trucks now over the last 11 years. The only drawback I have found is that when it's cold out the truck doesn't like to get to operating temperature. For that reason I only use it in the summertime. I like a cool running engine but that's just me. I also have an extra electric fan that I run as well in addition to the stock fan...

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for that, yea I am going to run a 180 t-stat in summer and a 190 in winters just makes sense to me ok have a good one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts