Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took the truck out for a test run after doing the tone ring mod. All I can say is this is how the truck should have run from the factory. Before if I goosed the throttle there was a bad hesitation and then it would come alive. Same with accelerating. it would be real slow to accelerate until about 2200rpm and then it would come alive and take off. So it had a real narrow powerband and real uneven power curve. Now I can tap the throttle and the power is there instantly. Same with accelerating. It has a nice and smooth curve until the top. So in total my mods now are the silencer ring and torque tube mods. muffler delete so I have a 3.5" straight pipe and now the tone ring mod. I hope all this makes for a fun truck that gets decent mileage.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's the "tone ring"?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
timing ring. basically advanced the timing a bit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that sorta what you get with a 'chip'? Timing control, plus fuel delivery control, etc.?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup....except this is free.

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
3rd. gen uneven powerband.

Coming out of a '99,my '07's tendency to exhibit these symptoms really frustrated me. Smarty cured it but I'm glad you found a solution.Emission compliance mandates this behavior I suspect.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
How much advance do you figure you got out of the tone ring adjustment? I am considering the rokktec sensor instead of pulling the pulley off and that gives 2 degrees I believe. Do you think you got more than that by doing the ring? Anyone know what is a safe limit for advance?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know. I think everyone speculates that you get the 2 degrees of advance. it isn't much. I thought to myself that there was no way that little amount would do anything. But I followed the advise found here and got good results. It was really ridiculously easy. remove belt. loosten 4 bolts.... slide off balancer. slide off timing ring. I used a step bit to enlarge the dowel pin hole. slide on ring and balancer. hand tighten bolts. rotate the ring clockwise and tighten the bolts down. re-install belt. voulah!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Where did you get that info, and is it the same on a 06??

Thanks
John

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i did a forum search for tone ring mod. also did a web search for the same thing.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Any timing rattle under load or in the morning?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts