Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
NADEAU
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any videos of your truck with a smoke switch? I have a edge with att, injectors, and a fass for fueling and am thinking of installing a smoke switch to get a little more denser black smoke....

pics, videos, anything would be helpful...also how was the install? looks pretty simple.

-Chris :thumbsup:

·
Hemi
12,651 Posts
There's videos on YouTube. One shows the guy installing it and another showing the proof.

·
NADEAU
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I watched both of those last night. I was just wondering if anyone on here had some pics and proof....pretty easy install it looks

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts

the proof, and the switch.

from mine atleast, its not going to make your smoke any denser, all it does is allow you to make more of it until your boost catches up, because of how it works, (tells MAP your at full boost, with 0 psi) the only way to get the most out of it is to smash the throttle while your under no load, just barely cruising. the longer i've had mine set up, the less i use it. i almost wish now i hadnt even bothered with the wiring.

mopar1973man has a good write up for it, thats what i used to do mine.

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
also, to do mine only took bout 15 mins, and thats cuz i spliced into the wrong wire at first, tried it, smacked my self in the head, and then re-spliced. that pic was also after comp & injectors and before air dog. i noticed more smoke after i got the air puppy on there.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
tha gauge my not have been reading any boost but it sure sounded like it was building some. Is there any point to doing the smoke switch other than blowing smoke? It just seems kinda pointless to me if it does noting else.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
NCcummins I got one on my truck,and i works pretty good,for smoke at idle

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
ALL it does is fool the map sensor into thinkin there is no boost, yer still makin it, it's just that the motor thinks your not...;)

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
ALL it does is fool the map sensor into thinkin there is no boost, yer still makin it, it's just that the motor thinks your not...;)
yup, it tells the map sensor that your making full boost, so it sends in full amount of fuel, so even right off idle your making the same amount of full you would at full boost.

·
NADEAU
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sweet....well here is the way I look at it, it only takes maybe 20 minutes at max to install, maybe longer with a clean set up for the switch so I can make it look stock. It makes more smoke (which is the only reason for the switch) and that is what I am looking for. I don't think it really "hurts" the truck in any way that I know of. Why not try it out?

I have never had one and just want to try it out. I have 85hp injectors, edge w/ att that has hot unlock, and a fass...should hopefully dump some smoke with it on!

thanks for all the help!

·
NADEAU
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh yeah, and for my install, I need to do exactly the same thing that dude on youtube did correct? as I have a edge with attitude and not a edge comp box like in moparman's write up?

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
tha gauge my not have been reading any boost but it sure sounded like it was building some. Is there any point to doing the smoke switch other than blowing smoke? It just seems kinda pointless to me if it does noting else.
yup. all it does is allow you to make smoke before the turbo spools up. you dont get any smoke higher up just right off the snap. its fun for like dyno days or when someone is riding your arse, makes em back off quick!

oh yeah, and for my install, I need to do exactly the same thing that dude on youtube did correct? as I have a edge with attitude and not a edge comp box like in moparman's write up?
thats a good point. i have no idea how it goes with the juicey juice. worse case do a search, you'll get about 6 poages of info. :thumbsup: have fun with it, post up some pics when you finish.

·
NADEAU
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
going to install it next tuesday....will post some pics of the fun after for sure!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I would not run it all the time,i only run mine when i rev it up

·
Dumbass
4,348 Posts
I would not run it all the time,i only run mine when i rev it up
i'm not sure if this is true, but i have heard running it for extedned periods can lead to cylinder washdown. not sure, but i never wanted to risk it.s

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.