Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am about to leave for the sandbox for a full year. I want to come back to a 600-700hp truck. I have been calling around to various shops in Ohio to get some estimates, but my lack of knowledge is showing and I would like to get a second opinion on what is needed.

Current truck: '04 2500 QCSB, 48RE, Smarty S06.

Goal: Swap 48RE for NV5600, make big-ish power as reliably as I can get.

I have seen in DodgeRamItUpYours2004's sig, he has a mechanical fuel pump. Could I use that Assassin pump to replace the CP3's? Would this effect tuning with a programmer?

below is one of the quotes I just received, any advice is greatly appreciated! (oh and the injector year is a typo)

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
My advice is to just save your cash when you're over there and research research research..... Then when you come back you'll know what you want.

I wouldn't do the build they are quoting you either. Why dual cp3 with only a stocker over ??? twin kit? Why a quote for an air intake when doing a twin kit? Why get rid of your 48RE? Why the charge to remove the head???? Why a quote for whole new injectors when tips are fine? Sounds like they're taking you for a ride to me...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My advice is to just save your cash when you're over there and research research research..... Then when you come back you'll know what you want.

I wouldn't do the build they are quoting you either. Why dual cp3 with only a stocker over ??? twin kit? Why a quote for an air intake when doing a twin kit? Why get rid of your 48RE? Why the charge to remove the head???? Why a quote for whole new injectors when tips are fine? Sounds like they're taking you for a ride to me...
These are the things that I wouldn't have caught by myself.. You brought up some good questions. As for why switch from auto to manual? I figure that I will probably spend 15-20k in aftermarket parts for my truck... Might aswell make it the truck I want to drive forever.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I see no turbo upgrade that's on my wish list right now

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Save your money wait till ya get plus most that stuff is easy to install in a drive way save yourself on the labor cost. Will get ya more parts to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Save your money wait till ya get plus most that stuff is easy to install in a drive way save yourself on the labor cost. Will get ya more parts to.
It might be for some, but I am not mechanically savvy person. I don't mind paying labor costs for a job done right.

I am just looking to build the best 600-700hp truck possible, I have an open budget.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,105 Posts
From having both an auto and a manual... keep the auto and have it built. I like my nv5600 but it's also a helluva lot easier getting in an auto and putting it in drive. NV5600's are becoming more and more rare for parts. You blow one up and its gonna cost about what a built auto runs...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
From having both an auto and a manual... keep the auto and have it built. I like my nv5600 but it's also a helluva lot easier getting in an auto and putting it in drive. NV5600's are becoming more and more rare for parts. You blow one up and its gonna cost about what a built auto runs...
Your spot on with the nv 5600. Clint is having a hard time finding snychros for mine. He said he's scouring the country. Why did new venture have to go out of business.. I've been told you should be able to make over 750 with a 62 over s475 With 75% nozzles. I'm thinking of a 63/68/14 over a s475 just because I would like to break 800.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I will put serious consideration into the future of the transmission in my truck.

I have been looking around for parts, and that led me to my next question. What is the highest hp I should go for on a daily driver? I would like to stay as reliable as possible, and i'm not looking to throw a race engine in my truck, but I plan on doing this once and I would like it done right, ya know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
if u are wanting to stay as reliable as possible DONT DO NOTHING. but... a built tranny, compounds and a smarty (until efi live is available) should make the seat of your pants feel awesome

·
11,105 Posts
Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I will put serious consideration into the future of the transmission in my truck.

I have been looking around for parts, and that led me to my next question. What is the highest hp I should go for on a daily driver? I would like to stay as reliable as possible, and i'm not looking to throw a race engine in my truck, but I plan on doing this once and I would like it done right, ya know?
Reliable is really how deep your pockets can be. There's guys making 900hp on their DD's and still reliable but IMO at 650hp with a built tranny, 62/65/14 over an S475 with head studs, valve springs, 150hp injectors nozzles and a modded cp3 with smarty TNT and a boost fooler you can do anything you want and never have an issue with something breaking unless you just raw hide the heck out of it from start up to shut down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the quest for reliability

That is true but my definition of reliability is not having to go back to the shop after the performance part was installed ( down time). I have had 4 transmissions installed in 20000 miles and it must b an awesome trans because anybody willing to put a 5 yr 500000 mile warranty is pretty sure of there product. All i am saying is there will most likely b some hiccups along the way

·
11,105 Posts
What tranny's are you using or what parts? Chances are whoever is building them isn't doing it right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
quest for power

Ats, billet, converter, valve body, co-pilot

·
Registered
9 Posts
In your quest for horsepower, you've never had any set backs, hiccups, problems?

·
Registered
9 Posts
U and I were the ones having this discussion... But ok

·
11,105 Posts
Ok for your answer... No I have never had any major hiccups that side lined my truck. After I did my build, I've put about around 6,500ish miles on the truck since last summer. I don't drive it and when or if I do I don't drag race, boost launch or rag on it. Only issue I've had is the new engine has a slight oil usage which is either the new break in or the machine shop messed a valve stim seal up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome. Then why all the parts? And if " u don't drive it or if u do for 6500 mile" probably not going to have any issues

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.