Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

15601 - 15620 of 15634 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,744 Posts
Finally installed some auxiliary backup lights and work lights. Hooked them up to the reverse lights through the trailer wiring 5 way I added in when I added in the in bed 7 way . Also hooked them up to my aux 2 position and put in a diode to manually turn them on without any worry of back feeding. I'll put on some output pics once it's night time

20200913_124327.jpg

20200913_133808.jpg

·
6,744 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
I start mine right away out of habit anyway, but as mentioned, I have also not started it at all and just had the ignition on.
But I have no idea what happens when using remote start. Even if I had it, I wouldn't use it. Unless I'm in the vehicle and can see and hear what's going on, but then I might as well start it normally.

Unhook the cable at the battery, tie it off to something (I used the coolant reservoir) and see what happens.
If you do end up with a code, it'll take maybe three minutes to connect the cable again. Once the code's gone, disconnect the cable. Repeat as needed...although I doubt you'll have to.
Thanks Jimmy - and yes I have Alfa if I had to clear codes etc -

We get mild winters in the South but I do use the remote start occasionally when I'm out of the house so I will see what happens - probably better to leave it disconnected either way - I wish it could be disabled with Alfa coding or something similar, by software

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well after a year’ish of looking and hoping, I finally got a hold of a 5th Gen OEM bed step.

Bolts right up to factory bolts in place. Just need a bigger washer for one of the bolts

One of the things I hated about some of the other opinions seemed to big and out of place

Best parts was it only cost $40. Apparently the dealership just throws them away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
@aflumb1982 Throws them away! If you can get another step I would pay you to ship it to me!

·
Registered
715 Posts
@aflumb1982 I absolutely love my 5th Gen bed step - I found one of the last ones in the country in new stock back in February or March - the Trek Step and Amp steps do not fit or look right IMO -

I paid a hell of a lot more than $40 but it was worth every penny to have a good look and fit to the step - its overbuilt and a quality piece - Are they still not selling new ones? When I found mine they basically told me at the dealership I found one at that the steps were on supplier backorder from supply chain shortages, this one is made in Canada unlike the other Chinese ones -

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well after a year’ish of looking and hoping, I finally got a hold of a 5th Gen OEM bed step.

Bolts right up to factory bolts in place. Just need a bigger washer for one of the bolts

One of the things I hated about some of the other opinions seemed to big and out of place

Best parts was it only cost $40. Apparently the dealership just throws them away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@aflumb1982 Throws them away! If you can get another step I would pay you to ship it to me!
Likewise!
What was the actual problem with them for recall?
They throw them away when they take them off for the recall and we still don't have replacement parts for them. Recall indicates the thin brace can break from a heavy side load.

I managed to take delivery with mine intact back in March before the recall. Others after weren't so lucky. Orders didn't have them from the factory, buyers that paid were supposed to get a voucher. Lots of guys are just buying an AMP step.

Reactions: Nater_Potater

·
6,744 Posts
@aflumb1982 any chance you might be able to hook others up? or was that a lucky to be able to get one from a dealer tech kinda thing?

·
Registered
699 Posts
You might want to check with your local dealer. But I'm guessing that if FCA is making the dealers pull them due to concerns about them breaking and thus depositing a person unceremoniously on the ground, that FCA is also requiring the dealer to dump/destroy them rather than resell them in order to limit that liability. If that is indeed the case, then you would need to find a dealer who is less than up front with FCA about what they are doing with the removed steps. Or a tech who is making a few bucks on the side without the dealer knowing...

·
6,744 Posts
You might want to check with your local dealer. But I'm guessing that if FCA is making the dealers pull them due to concerns about them breaking and thus depositing a person unceremoniously on the ground, that FCA is also requiring the dealer to dump/destroy them rather than resell them in order to limit that liability. If that is indeed the case, then you would need to find a dealer who is less than up front with FCA about what they are doing with the removed steps. Or a tech who is making a few bucks on the side without the dealer knowing...
Unfortunately Dave Smith is several hours away from me, most of the other dealers around me are actually quite responsible and diligent But i wouldn't be surprised if the ones on ebay are coming from Dave Smith

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just before leaving for a 2 week holiday I had an issue with my NAPC 68RFE. Dropped the truck off at my buddy's shop so he could drop the trans and diagnose while I was away as I need the truck for fall harvest. Called up NAPC, they said to not touch it and they they wanted it back. At first they were a little confrontational saying that I had to have abused it to take OD out in less than 15,000kms. Not the case as I had only towed with it a few times and let the tires break loose twice. I was very honest with them and told them this. Also told them that the Frankenstein build we had done before buying their race trans lasted me well over 120,000kms of daily abuse. They called back when they received it and proceeded to explain that they must have nicked a seal when assembling and it was 100% their fault as they claim to not have very many issues with their builds hence the comment about me abusing it. They apologized for that lol. It always made a slight few noises from day one, they said don't worry about it, you have warranty. They sent us down a completely refreshed unit, basically a brand new trans and she is going back in tonight. They want me to run it hard when I get past the first couple thousand kms of driving and report back.

I can honestly say that I will recommend NAPC to anyone looking for a transmission.

15601 - 15620 of 15634 Posts