Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

The official Caster Thread. Whats your number?

1313 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Super10brss
Just got done taking my lift off with severly worn bushings/sleeves and putting Titan machine Ballistic control arms and Carli leveling coils. I guessed at the caster and put the cams straight up. The ride could not be better but even though the steering is tighter and more responsive, It has allot of bump steer and takes wild jerks toward the ditch or oncoming lanes. I figure I must be at less than factory specs with the caster as it is now.

What is factory specs and what is your favorite setting running slightly large tires?
I know theres a downside to too much either way can someone with good front end knowledge start this thread off. Lots of unsatisfied 2gen owners and lots running 35s like me Whats the magic numbers people? I have heard of having to buy a fox steering stabilizer and adjusting the nitrogen charge for the perfect track at highway speeds.

I have done the T style steering, upper lower ball joints, BD steering stablizer, a cheap rancho stabilizer, thurens Trackbar and the best 10 ply tires made as well as centramatics. All that remains is the steering box and shaft...

If I wouldn't have dropped over 1k on the Carlis and Control arms I would think about selling for a 3gen. Or a ford to put a 12v into
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,300 Posts
I put the max I could in mine. Has been that way for several years and seems to be good.

· Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cant belive no hourd of people to post here that are hungry for better steering/handling. I put this above the VP44 problems this is something u can adjust make better, all U can do with a VP is buy a overpriced blue chip or buy standard us built and pray. Some gamble and buy a chinese black pump.

· Registered
475 Posts
BUMP :agree2:

I am having to take my truck back the the alignment guy tomorrow to let him lick that calf again.... I need some ammo to help out here :thumbsup:....

· Registered
475 Posts
After a little research I have found... Ram steering specs

Specifications (my personal settings for every Ram I align):
Setting Left Wheel Right Wheel
Caster 3.2° 3.5°
Camber -0.10° -0.10°
Cross Caster -0.3°
Cross Camber 0.0°
Toe Standard specs, (maybe a little out if you tow a lot, they will pull in as the front end lifts up).

3 degrees to 4 degrees is the optimal caster setting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.