Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help...Anyone know where I can find a new tailgate or has anyone ever had experience getting one fixed? Expensive?

Brandon

·
Registered
900 Posts
I think the only new tail gates made are for the step sides. that leaves junkyards, usually pretty easy to find. what's wrong with yours?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
81-93 gates swap straight up. The expensive and sought after newer ones with the aluminum trim and reflector go for big bucks, older plain gates are cheap.

There used to be new aftermarket ones but I don't know if they still make em.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What does it take to fix an older tail gate. Does it have to be cut open?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
you can get new repopped plain gates, as in no trim plate and no "dodge ram" stamp.

edit: to give you an idea of what a "new" LE style tailgate costs. i just sold my dealer take-off gate in mint condition for $1,000. was told it was worth 1500-1700.

·
Registered
439 Posts
81-93 gates swap straight up. The expensive and sought after newer ones with the aluminum trim and reflector go for big bucks, older plain gates are cheap.
Thats funny how things go around in different areas of the country.

I sold my ugly mint aluminum for 20 bucks paid big bucks for my dodge ram gate + more bucks to have it painted to match truck.

Every now and then I get other 1st gen owners asking if I know where other dodge ram gates are,, or sell them mine plus paint there aluminum gate to match my truck.

·
Registered
439 Posts
edit: to give you an idea of what a "new" LE style tailgate costs. i just sold my dealer take-off gate in mint condition for $1,000. was told it was worth 1500-1700.
You got to kidding me mine was a day one take off for a 5th wheel gate.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
You got to kidding me mine was a day one take off for a 5th wheel gate.
Mine was for the same reason. And no, not kidding. I paid $100 for it. Didn't realize what it was worth until I got to talking to some mopar old timers about it. I had guys fighting over it for that price.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Like I said brother different parts of the county.

Here they dont want those TGs and I had to give 1500$ for matching D60/D70 lsd rebuildables.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The lever does not open the tailgate I have to use a screw driver to pull up on each latch.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
The lever does not open the tailgate I have to use a screw driver to pull up on each latch.
i have a few "parts" tailgates. if you need a new lever mechanism or the rods. but chances are they just got disconnected from either the latch or the handle.

·
Registered
900 Posts
usually the plastic clips that hold the latch rods in break. I've had several that just needed a good oiling to work again.oil the latches, and the handle. I had to do this to my '91.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had an issue with mine ththe handle was seized and the rods were off. Took out the handle mech, soaked it with Hoppes gun oil (best penetrating oil ever) and new clips BAM!! works great. Never put it back on the truck lol!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I had that problem awhile back. The handle was wore out enough that it could not pull the p/s latch open. Then I cleaned the latches and readjusted the tailgate pins. Works good as new.

Reactions: justinfonder

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone have one I might be able to purchase? Mine completely came apart, the tac welds started pulling apart around the latching mechanism. I thought about just going to a flatbed, but I really like the look of these trucks with a working tailgate and fresh paint....Gotta love it!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok. Much appreciated.
Will tear it apart and see if parts needed or just lube.
Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
Does anyone have one I might be able to purchase? Mine completely came apart, the tac welds started pulling apart around the latching mechanism. I thought about just going to a flatbed, but I really like the look of these trucks with a working tailgate and fresh paint....Gotta love it!

where are you located?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Located in Oregon

·
Registered
486 Posts
you can get new repopped plain gates, as in no trim plate and no "dodge ram" stamp.

The applique (trim) for this tailgate alone cost $735.00 from Dodge 6 years ago.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts