Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That MIL light came on yesterday and will not go off. I have gone to the owners manuel and it only gives me a discription of what it is. Being this to be a holiday weekend and not being able to bring it to the dealer till tuesday is it safe to drive with this indicator light on? I have noticed no performance problems, just that dang light stays on...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Take it to autozone and have them read the code for you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
emissions and engine control system...

owners manuel says if the light stays on it will be drivable but could cause engine control problems, if it starts to blink while driving big problems...Any one have this experience?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is ok to drive, but you need to find out what code is setting the MIL

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you fill out your signature and post where you are one of the members may be close enough to you to get a code reader to you. My experience is you can drive with that light on with no real problems. Maybe poorer MPG. But if you can get a hold of a code reader, it will put your mind at ease. Like the guy above said if there is a Autozone near you, they will read the codes for you. In California they make you buy the code reader and you check the codes and then they buy it back from you. Keeps them out trouble with the smog guys, cause you also can clear the codes once you read them. Sometimes its just a fluke and you clear the code and it does not come back:thumbsup

I bought my code reader off of craigs list for like 40 bucks and I use it all the time. (My Truck my friends trucks and cars, it's a great tool to have.) If I were to do it over again I would go with a Smarty, it costs alot more but you can read codes, clear codes and get alot a performance to boot:peelout

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...

Truck is a 2008 3/4 ton 4x4, only 9500 miles on it. Will check on the code reader, thanks for the replies...

·
Registered
343 Posts
try the key trick

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've had three CEL's, one 2262, one 2AD1, and one that I could never get the key trick to work. All of them disappeared in a few days. You under warranty? Does it seem to have full boost? Drive it, have fun with it, and take it in next week (personal opinion only, not offering professional advice, and any harm you cause, I will not be liable for....compliments of thinking like my attorney). Maybe you will get two codes by then and you can save yourself a trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts