Cummins Diesel Forum banner

The low down on buying a dodge?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  totalloser 
#1 ·
Ok I am looking to buy a dodge diesel 4x4, mid 90's too 2002, and I want to know what to look for pro's and con's for Auto vs manual?And the milage difference with a dually?
12 valve vs 24 valve? and what to look out for and what are some of the down points to these rigs as they seem to have a bit of a transfer case issue as alot for sale have had transfer case work.?
As much feed back and advice as possible please as I wan't to get this right the first time and to know what to look out for
Thanks
Andrew

#2 · (Edited)
12v= more mechanical inclined for upgrades/ most say more reliable,matter of opinion.

24v= upgraded with ecu mods, 98.5 and up you get the quad cab,2001 and up you can get the bullet proof nv5600 6spd.

I havnt heard of any real t-case issues on any of them. The biggest probs are front end issues, ball joints etc. and fuel delivery which can get pricey but once replaced a non issue. And if you get the slush-o-matic make sure its the 48re non the 47. As far as mileage goes, the dually wont hurt you that much. Whats much more important is that you get the right gear ratio for what you need. In other words if you dont need 4:10's dont get them as this will be your biggest enemy with economy:beer

#3 ·
Take it from an '02 owner who blew up a NV5600, the only shortcomming is that the factory built it with a fill plug that is too low in the case...translation? Even when it's filled to factory specs, it's really a quart low. Pull the shift tower and dump in another quart. Add a cooler and filter kit, top off with factory juice, and you're good to go.
Other than that, the late '01 and all '02 have disc brakes on the rear and if you keep a good fuel pump in it, it will run fantastic. There are fixes out there for the track bar that will use the '03 and up with the "dog bone" bushing at each end. I have one but cant put it on right now due to the plow frame. Once the regular suspects are addressed you will have a great truck.

#4 ·
if you get a 5 speed manual make sure its got the update by that i mean 5 gear has a lock nut on it if no that is something you had better do right away. if you get a 24v the injection pumps will wear out due to not getting enough fuel to keep it lubricated so it will wear out fix that by having a fass pump installed.:thumbsup

#5 ·
hmmmmmmm

Hay thanks keep the opinion's coming as I am getting the feeling that 01/02 with the 6 speed and disc brakes is a good idea to start with?
If I concider an earlier one is the 5 speed a good strong box?

#6 ·
depends on what you wanna do with it. If its just a daily driver the nv4500 (5spd) will be fine plus I hear its more pleasant to drive since theres one less gear. The 5600 is about twice the size of the 4500 and built much stronger.

The 5600 can handle I think 20% more torqe and has closer ratio's for towing. Both trannys have the same 1'st and last gear ratio. I would recommend the 5600. better for towing, built stronger, and I usually start out in 3rd anyways so its not any more shifting for just cruisin. There is an older version of the 5600 and it had some issues so make sure you get the '01 or newer I believe.

here is a link, at the bottom is a pick of the two side by side, you can really see the difference here...
NV5600 Transmission

#7 ·
I feel that starting in second is too hard on the clutch, but starting in first you practically have to shift as soon as you let of the clutch. I run 35's and have 3.55 gears, though, so for another configuration it will be different. The difference between the old nv5600 and new one is that the input shaft is larger on the new one. 1.25" vs 1.375". The old version is still stronger than a vr4500, but they both are pretty tough. If you do a lot of in town driving, I would consider a 4500, and then you can get a MUCH MORE RELIABLE mechanical diesel. You can spot the new 5600 transmission pretty easily. Look at the bell housing and if there's a spacer between the starter and the bell, it's a new one. The "new" one got a bigger, tougher clutch, and better pilot bearing as well.

I got my truck specifically for the 5600, and they never came with a mechanical pump, but once I got it, I was pretty happy as the POWER you can make out of the electronic system is super easy and cheap. It also is able to bring the torque to maximum and carry it through the rpm band meaning it can make gobs of power without breaking stuff as easily.

As to the disc, I don't know it really matters much. My brakes brake and I have drum rear. Not that I don't want disc, but I wouldn't make a purchasing choice based on the disc.

NO NON SYNTHETIC FOR THE NV5600! No 80w90! +1 on the extra quart. You can get it in through the top PTO bolt, also.

#8 ·
hmmmmmmm

Well thanks guy's for the info its was very helpful and I just got back from AZ with my new 01 6 speed and I love it but there is a hum or buzz sound coming from around the tank area what is that sound as it sounds like a really noisy electric pump?

#12 ·
Congrats! If you don't have an auxillary lift pump, make sure to put it on the top of the list. The wiring puts the relay in the CPU, and the lift pump has to prime every time. Real achilles in these things.

It should make the lift pump noise when you key it on, and if you bump the starter but not start it. If that's not the noise you're hearing, make sure you have oil in everything! The nv5600 is a pretty noisy transmission, so it could be the trans making a little more noise as the oil warms up and thins a little. Lower rpm will make it loud! Any of this sound familiar? First thing I would do is check the oils in everything, and REPLACE the oil in the transmission with a full synthetic just in case. Wrong oil VERY BAD in the nv5600. Trust me on this. :(

PS, you might look at your starter to see which trans you got! :) And if you have an aux lift pump already, it will be on the left framerail ahead of the tank. If it doesn't, it may have one INSIDE the tank. Beware! I don't think this type is compatible with an aftermarket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.