Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a good write up on the history of the b-series cummins. I thought it was a good rea and figured I'd share. It makes a prediction of a cummins v-8 coming to the dodge truck body in 2013-2014. I know that this has been discusse on here but I was just wondering what everybody thought about this. Anyway I just thought it might raise a little discussion

Cummins 5.9 liter and 6.7 liter inline six-cylinder diesel engines

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,297 Posts
great read. couple things that caught my eye -

Individual plungers for each injector were operated by a camshaft through roller followers (both cam and followers were oil-lubricated). Injection timing and amount were controlled by the throttle position which was modified by a centrifugal governor moving a gear rack in the high pressure pump. The rack rotated sleeves with variable width slots that were concentric with the pump plungers.

Cummins also makes a V8 diesel, which is the most likely one to be adopted by Dodge. It should get around 18 mpg city, 23 mpg highway in the Ram 1500, producing over 250 horsepower and around 440 lb-ft of torque rpm. This is a very different engine from the B-series straight six, redlining at over 5,000 rpm, operating as quietly as a gasoline engine; it is reportedly being made for use by the military, and should appear around 2013-2014.

·
Registered
230 Posts
A V8 Cummins diesel? Good god, please no....

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is no secret that Cummins has been working on a light duty V8 Cummins for the 1500s for a while now...
read the article, there talkin about adopting the military v-8 cummins for the HD trucks.

I dunno if im a fan of a v-8 either, thats one of the reasons i like my dodge over ford or chevy is the fact that its a straight six. The way i see it is that 99% of semi trucks have a straight six motor...and there is a reason for it. just my thinking though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts