Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellas im kinda excited, been working for CSX for a year now as a conductor and got word that i should be goin to engine school in june...:thumbsup

That means I get to sit behind the controls of one of the largest and most powerfull diesels on land....a little nervous but still very excited.

Sorry i just had to tell yall, i guess that means my ride has the most HP out of all yall...:lol3: Was layin down 6250hp at bout 1100rpms yesterday....:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Those train engines are really amazingly complex machines. Discovery or one of those stations have a show called "Modern Marvels" I think it was. They are just a very large scale diesel electric hybrid. When the train brakes, the wheel motors generate electricity and they use a huge electric resistance grid and essentially convert the trains inertia into heat.

Congrats of the new opportunity!

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Congrats that is awesome. I still feel like a 10 year old when I see trains. Alternators up to 5 feet across! OOOhH that must be cool.:beer

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
DAD...ya they are some cool machines, and you are right the diesel motor is just used to power the generator that powers the electric traction motors on each axle!!!!

Thanks for the congrats fellas....we need to get with Mads Electronics and se if they can make a Smarty for the engines.....hahah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts