Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone here’s the current situation. Picked up an 03 2wd from my boss with 225k and no aftermarket parts and took it to the shop for a once over to check out the situation. She’s got a few dents and scratches but she’s basically perfect in the powertrain. Got a 4 inch tbe, injen intake, and smarty JR. Installed after i purchased her 2 weeks ago. Instantly want more power. So now shooting for 6-700hp daily. The goal is to be able to drive it all week if i want to and then to the track on the weekend (i say drive it to the track but I’m literally never going to do this, i just want to be able to have a fun pedal) I don’t tow ever as i just don’t have a reason to so that’s out. I do make long trips back home however which is about 1700 round trip so keep that in mind. so here’s the list of parts that will be going in that we decided on:
FASS 165
Fleece 10mm cp3
ARP 2000
Hamilton 103 springs
Hamilton extreme duty push rods
Energy 60 over injectors with injector tubes replaced
Built trans w/ flex plate and billet shafts
Custom tune
(Cosmetics are just going to be reverse level, traction bars, and new wheels and tires 305/50r20 when the stock tires are wore down that i have on now)
And finally what turbo? The goal is to have power but not enough lag to take away the daily driving side of things. I am literally taking this thing to the shop tomorrow and the money will be paid. But we are still debating on turbo. Thoughts anyone?
Open for debate and guesses on numbers as it will be dynoed

Cheers in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Sxe 63/68 will support your goal, 64.5/73 if you want a little room.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
You have 2 options. You can run a single like suggested or do compounds. You can research both on here to decide what fits you best. I personally prefer compounds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
haven't kept up on today's latest and greatest turbos however to give you a reference; I ran a 66/74/12 on my then 04.5 daily driver with a setup similar to yours. Lag wasnt bad and the truck was a blast to drive

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay just dropped the truck off at the shop today. Trans coming out in the morning. The build has officially started. We ended up going with an sxe 63/68/14 for the turbo. My guy said he has ran a compound with an 80mm and this and got him to 800s so he said down the road if i want to expand it is possible. Parts come in tomorrow as well just waiting on the truck.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I’m going to have to side with grunt on the matter. A single will get you there but compounds are my preference. A 62 over 475 will support your goal and give you plenty of room should you decide you want more. With the fueling you have planned and that turbo setup and proper tuning 750 hp would be easily attainable.

What/who’s parts are going into your trans build?
Happy hp hunting.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I will agree with the above posts, Twins are always better drivability wise, the reason I didn’t mention twins is your horsepower goal of 6 to 700 would put you in a position to run a small set of twins with not much room for growth air wise. At least with a 63/68 You can compound it later and not lose any money.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that was part of the discussion....the future of wanting more ponies lol....so we decided on this setup to be somewhat future proof

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I’m going to have to side with grunt on the matter. A single will get you there but compounds are my preference. A 62 over 475 will support your goal and give you plenty of room should you decide you want more. With the fueling you have planned and that turbo setup and proper tuning 750 hp would be easily attainable.

What/who’s parts are going into your trans build?
Happy hp hunting.
Going with revmax not Suncoast

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Trans came out today and is getting sent off first thing in the morning. Got the valve springs, head studs, and FASS 165 in the mail today and taken to the shop. waiting for the cp3 and the push rods. Injectors should be heading this way by next week as well as the turbo. Also just wanted to let you all know i will just be running CT’s insight for gauges as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: went and picked up the push rods and the fleece cp3 today from ups. The converter and trans have been sent off and confirmed they are starting to build them up on Monday. Working on finding wheels and tires for the truck now. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I would have them throw a fleece coolant bypass on while the trans is out, a lot easier to install now then later

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Interesting build, you started out same as me, but instead of spending $$$ on a second turbo, I put the money into the headwork. I run a little 3782 Garrett and I like to race guys with compounds.:grin2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have them throw a fleece coolant bypass on while the trans is out, a lot easier to install now then later
Looking at the coolant bypass system diagram from fleece i cant really see why the trans being out makes this easier? Maybe im missing something? Can you please go into further depth of explanation please. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Looking at the coolant bypass system diagram from fleece i cant really see why the trans being out makes this easier? Maybe im missing something? Can you please go into further depth of explanation please. Thanks in advance.
freeze plug on back of the head above the bell housing needs to come out for install. It’s just easier when the trans is out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
freeze plug on back of the head above the bell housing needs to come out for install. It’s just easier when the trans is out.
Interesting. How does using this affect when driving in stop and go traffic? Do you see higher temps at those times or no?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting build, you started out same as me, but instead of spending $$$ on a second turbo, I put the money into the headwork. I run a little 3782 Garrett and I like to race guys with compounds.:grin2:
Ive just got studs, springs, and rods but I’m just looking for a fun daily driver. Maybe more for the sleeper farm truck people pull up next to. If i were to go full race I’m sure there would be a lot more down the road with the head i would do as well as a compound system. Thanks for the comment!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: brought the cp3 and pushrods into the shop this morning and we discussed the coolant bypass system. Long story short i ordered one from fleece. It will be here this week and we will get it put in before the trans gets done this week. Any other ideas? Let me know!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey man, I also have a 2wd and am looking into traction bars. What do you recommend for us 2wd guys! I can't seem to find any that aren't for 4wd. Must be getting old!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey man, I also have a 2wd and am looking into traction bars. What do you recommend for us 2wd guys! I can't seem to find any that aren't for 4wd. Must be getting old!
Hey man i went with a company that the guy helping me knows....they build their traction bars to order and powder coat them too.... i will have to get the company name for you when I get back to the shop...they take roughly 15 business days to make too just a heads up if you’re needing to get them quick

1 - 20 of 46 Posts