Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I driving and I went to pass a few cars and when I put the hammer down the truck began losing speed. I pushed the clutch in and drifted off the road. The truck would idle...nothing else. Threw P0122...APPS is dead...ok...so I ordered a new one yesterday. I borrowed my buddy's jeep to take to work yesterday as I drive 24 miles and he drives .2 to work. I went to pick my truck up at his house after work and everything seemed to be working ok. Same intermittent throttle problems as before but at least it was working somewhat then half way home I lost throttle completely. I pulled over, shut the truck off and restarted it a couple times...got out and banged on the APPS with a flashlight to try and knock some sense into it. I idled the truck in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, 2.5 miles up and down PA hills to get it home...took the better part of 20 minutes. Then, as I was pulling onto my street... VOILA...the go pedal started working again like nothing was ever wrong. Oh what a trip that was...

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
Ive been in all the way to 6th in mine without touching the throttle on flat ground.

·
Got P7100?
6,673 Posts
That sucks man!

My buddy had a plug come loose on the apps or tps (cant remember) and he had to idle about 15 miles home, with an auto tranny to make it worse. I would of loved to of seen the look on his face as he idled all the way:hehe:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been in all the way to 6th in mine without touching the throttle on flat ground.
I had it up in 4th at one point but with PA hills I was getting a ton of torque rattle. I doubt it's a big deal but it's a pretty horrendous sound.

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
Ya, I doubt its good for it but my grandpa wanted to see if it would do it. He has an 01 and his would do it so he wanted to see if mine would.

·
Crayola spokesperson
4,202 Posts
when mine gelled up i idled home in 3rd for like 20 min lol i like your theory thow beat some sense into it :lol4::thumbsup:

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,673 Posts
Once you get to 35, set the cruise, then press accelerate. Thats what I did when my Apps went out.

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Two bad apps. I don't think so. If not a wiring issue, I suspect a VP44 will be your next present. JMHO

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
P0122 Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) Signal Voltage Too Low APPS voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage

More than likely the 5 Volts coming to the APPS is weak. I would double check you 5 volt source... It run right back to the ECM too...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two bad apps. I don't think so. If not a wiring issue, I suspect a VP44 will be your next present. JMHO
I haven't changed it yet. I ordered it from Timbo yesterday and I've been limping around the ailing APPS.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That how mine was acting when I had the injection pump replaced. The check engine light had been coming on for a while before I took it to the first dealer. I brought it to the first dealer when the light first came on (before I had any noticeable problems) and they said the APPS was the problem. I didn’t have time to get it fixed.

A couple of weeks later it started stumbling on acceleration. I changed the fuel filter and it seemed to help, but I finally started getting the dead pedal. I took it to another dealer because the one a bought it from couldn’t get to it quick enough and they replaced the APPS, the injection pump and installed that piece of junk in-tank pump.

Thankfully it was still under warranty then. The worst part was the PT Cruiser I got for a loaner.:hehe:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:beer I replaced my APPS with Williams Sensor from Timbo (See Mopar1973man's site). No calibration was needed. I tested to verify correct voltage for idle and it was perfect with no adjustment necessary. Works great...much more reasonable than what the Dodge dealer is asking for an APPS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts